I want to re-upholster my sofa

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
I know there are a lot of sewers/crafters here and was wondering if anyone has reupholstered any furniture?
About 4 years ago we bought a WHITE Chaise and a sofa, it was all good and then little DD came along! I quickly regretted buying white furniture. At first it was quite easy to keep up with the messes, but now, no amount of scrubbing and cleaning is getting it back.

So rather then toss the furniture out (which is structurally sound) I would like to reupholster it.
I've been looking on-line for How-To's on upholstering, but not much is available. I just purchased a book on Amazon, so hopefully that will help me.

I just was interested if anyone on here has done any reupholstering and what your experiences may have been.
big_smile.png

How about those slip covers.

I have a great big fuffy chair that I'd like to redo. It's a great chair but it's very dingy. I have a big throw over it now to cover the ugliness.

I could do a slipcover for the sofa, but I can't find anything to fit the matching chaise lounge, which is almost as yucky as the sofa.
hmm.png

I was just telling my mom I would love to have my sectional redone. I love my sectional and I've hd it for 12 years now and it needs a new look. If my aunt lived down here I'd pay her to do it she used to own a reupholstering business.

Ok let's see....

Tools Needed:
Staple Remove
Pliers
Screwdriver
Staple gun
Sewing Machine - depending on style.....

1.) Start dismantling it, usually this mean getting it upside down and removing the "dust" cloth that has been stapled up along the 4 edges - get a staple remover from a fabric or hardware store (after I finish posting I will try to go find an image of it for you)...

2.) Once you have access to the "innards" you can see how its made then you can take the appropriate steps.....you may have to dismantle some parts before actually removing the fabric...using the staple remover & pliers to take off the old (pliers as needed - to take out stubborn staples that just want to come out one end @ a time) - Take your time with this - the pieces that you are removing is your template/pattern.....anything that is stitched together needs to be taken apart - remove the stitches to not just cut apart cause you need the seam allowance for your pattern

3.) Using the old pieces as a pattern cut your new fabric Sewing where it was sewn before & stapling back on what was stapled before. What came off last goes back on first......

4.) Sometimes they have a cord stitched into fabirc to make a nice "edging" just salvage that or buy new or go easy on yourself & don't even bother, the cord is for "finishing" edges and are not very forgiving so either resign youself that it will take awhile & baste it on so you can easily fuss with it later....or skip it all together
HTH

It really is not terribly difficult in fact its pretty.....Easy Smeasy....

Edit to add link http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat5.htm the kind I have is the 5th one down....also added a detail....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought about redoing my couch & love seat. But if I do, I think I will not take off the old fabric. I'm just going to lay something thick over it and staple it down in inconspicuous places. The couch I have now is in good solid shape, but the fabric is horrible. I have sworn that I'm not going to get anything new until the four year old learns to stop jumping on it.... I guess by that time, though, he will be a teenager and have started wallowing on it instead. Oh well. Maybe when he goes to college.

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom