I want to scream ! Roosters fighting !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chihuahuamom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
I'm ready to euthanize all my roosters, I've posted them free on CL and no responses. They are fighting, this morning I just opened the gate between the runs and said duke it out, Then I felt guilty and went back to check, my white frizzle is bloody, my silkie was trying to hide under the shed even tho he is the instigator...What do I do??? I've never had so many problems. My two little frizzle girls are plucked bald by the frizzle roosters. Right now the roosters that get along are in a run together, the silkie is in my house cause they'll kill him... I could cry, nobody is happy out there, the girls are upset cause the frizzles are now sep, the boys are upset cause they want to go back in. I am Not putting them back in with my hens, they are after them Constantly and it drives me crazy. I'm going to have to bring my frizzle girls in because its still cold here and they have hardly any feathers, they look pathetic...I am SO frustrated right now. I don't have the heart to part with my frizzle roosters, but I really don't want ANY at this point, they are ROTTEN !
sad.png

Get used to the bloody fights? I don't think so ! That seems pretty inhumane if you ask me.

Quote:
thats what roosters do
hu.gif
, if you've got more than one, except it more than once, we have four, yes FOUR mature breeding age roos, and 7 five month old roos that are just now getting into that "we gotta challange one another" mode, our mature roosters rarely, if ever fight, but when they do, it can get bad, our silkie who was once at the very top, is now a cowardly sissy rooster because one night he got the crap beat out of him by all THREE of our other mature roos, he's on the bottom, wheres he has stayed, Tony the sebright is second just above him, Boogers the Dominique is second in command, and Bertha the mutt roo is on top right now.

either keep your roosters apart, kill one, or sell one, is all i can tell you, or let one roo kill the other, sorry but those are the only options

Last edited:
Oh you poor thing...I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. I'm still kinda new to this chicken thing and I have a few roosters I need to get rid of too. They're not really fighting yet, they're still young. I can't believe nobody on CL wants them for free! I was hoping to put mine up on CL as soon as I figure out who to keep.

Well right now they are sep from the girls and All are miserable. The silkie is in my shop but can't stay in there. I guess the ones I am keeping will always be sep from the hens cause they're after them constantly and are bigger than them. So much for my hobby chicken keeping, it's turning out to be a nightmare instead. The roosters that don't get along cannot be together, I can't watch as they kill one another....Other than CL I don't know where to find new homes for these guys? I've put them on several times before now and nobody is interested..
sad.png

I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers BUT . . . .

If you have chickens, you are going to have fights. I have had hens fight until blood poured. It is just a given that if you have 2 roosters together, you are more than liikely going to have fights. And some of them are GOING to be to the death.

If you don't want your roosters to fight, SEPARATE them. That is not inhumane. It is also your only option !

If your roosters are breeding the hens until the hens are torn up and dying, SEPARATE them. It is a fact of life, CHICKENS ARE NOT ALWAYS NICE CREATURES !

If you are attempting to produce eggs for hatching and the rooster is tearing up certain hens, remove the hens for a few days, put them back for a day, then remove them again. Follow this cycle and the hens will heal back up and their eggs will still be fertile.

To me it is extremely inhumane to leave hens with roosters that are tearing them to shreds !!!!

Most roosters don't do this on purpose, they are just a little more "randy" than other roosters. But, at any rate, unless you don't pay much attention to your chickens, you will notice the hen's wounds before they are life threatening.

And if you think it is too labor intensive to move hens and roosters around to prevent these problems, then maybe you shouldn't have chickens at all !!!

Most roosters don't do this on purpose, they are just a little more "randy" than other roosters.

that is right, take boogers for example, he is ROUGH with the hens, but the only wounds they usually have from him are probably headaches!, when he "scruffs" them , he is so rough you can sometimes HEAR their heads being knocked with his beak, it's like a tiny hard sounding thump
lau.gif

but other than that, he's not that rough. none of the hens have ever been hurt while mating​

Last edited:
Well first of all, I don't find it to labor intensive to move chickens around ! Second of all, I don't have the space to have a whole sep enclosure and shed they havelike a little palace, it's heated and air in the summer, and the enclosed yard is Huge, YES I do take excellent care of my pets and that is WHY I have them !!!! My hens are not "torn" up or of course they would have been taken out a long time ago, I'm not an idiot. They are missing their feathers and have been taken out NOW. I was just looking for advice as to what to do with roosters that don't get along and where one would find them new homes, NOT criticism...My chickens get a cooked meal of some sort every day, they are loved and spoiled, that is why I have them as PETS. I don't take pleasure out of watching roosters kill each other and don't take it lightly and don't believe it's just a part of owning chickens....BUt thanks anyway enola.

Last edited:
I am sorry if you took my remarks as criticism, truly sorry.

But, all I simply stated facts, and they weren't all directed specifically at you.........

It is just hard for me to read post after post that board members are complaining about what happens when they have too many roosters !

The comments about the torn up hens did not apply to you.

Sorry again if I offended you.

Maybe from now on I will simply read and not post !

hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom