I was a baaad girl!

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
There was a really nice older couple that used to live across the road from us... they sold their place and a guy and his girlfriend moved in. He applied for a position as deputy sherriff, and was accepted. The guy had an attitude, and would only talk to us if he needed something (like the time I had vehicle problems, it was 20 below, and we were trying to get the vehicle going so that I could go to work. He came up while we were working on it to ask us to come jump his car!). I would drive past his place on my way home and see him in his yard, he would see me coming and turn his back like he was afraid I would expect him to wave or something.

Anyhow, I got tired of his attitude, so I got even. I had a chicken tractor and put some guineas in it. At the far edge of my yard, right across the road from his trailer house. Hmmm... not enough. Right beside that, I got the chainlink fence at the corner of the yard (also right across from his place) and put chicken wire to make a square pen, and in this pen I put 7 ducks and their kiddie pool. Did I mention that the edge of my yard is about 25 feet from their trailer, and up wind? So on nice hot days with a slight breeze, he would be out cooking on the grill, and I would be out dumping the kiddie pool to give my ducks clean water.

The neighbor moved!!! So I moved my critters since the new neighbors haven't annoyed me (yet...) Not nice, I know, but...
big_smile.png

Actions like this give poultry people a bad name. No wonder people think poultry are noisy and stink.

Next time, just tell the neighbor off if you need to get revenge?

Actually, it just gave me a bad name. My other neighbors get meat and eggs from us, we are on great terms and they think my birds are neat. He would have thought of it in terms of 'That @#$%^ across the road'. I just got tired of being asked to clear snow, having his vehicles parked in my driveway (blocking us in) when he had someone else clear his snow, DH being asked to weld things, and on and on... In all honesty, I don't care even if he thought of it as poultry people since he thought he was better than everyone else in our little town and looked down on everybody (and everyone here had their own problems with him).

I agree with Seedcorn. Behaviour like this just brings about more restrictions for those wishing to keep poultry in town. If that was the worst he did to you, i'm sure many members on here would welcome a neighbour like that. You might just kick yourself when the new neighbours arrive.

personally I have something like that in the works for one of our not so friendly neighbors down the road. But not with chickens. I have pigs. I told hubby I wanted to move them right on the property line. But he talked me out of it thinking they might try and posion the pigs. So now we are just going to be spreading our pig poop on the field...
lau.gif

I think what you did is kind of funny.
Not once did she say that he moved because of the birds. If it was that big of a problem (specially since he was a cop) I think he would of done something about it.
I guess for me it's no different than jerky people who tie there dogs on chains and just the right length to make you think twice about walking up there walk way. or there dogs are known to bite. They don't give others bad names. And they are still allowed to keep there dogs.

I guess that was just my 2 cents worth. Sorry if I jumped on some toes and or took the posts the wrong way. Dont want to upset anyone...Just saying how I took the original post...
Shawna

Whether it was the right or wrong thing to do, bad neighbors can make life bad. Sometimes turning the cheek works and other times you have to throw a little poop around (in this case, chicken droppings;). I currently have neighbors (we're in the country but still have a few close neighbors) that left out antifreeze for our cats that went in their yard, subsequently we had 3 cats die in 4 days. They also had a burn pile going that spread and came in our yard. We did call ASPCA for the cat ordeal and haven't heard a peep from them since. Our chickens are quiet and so far haven't gotten in anyone's yard.

Ours is a very rural community (like maybe 10 houses total), and folks help each other out. I took exception to the fact that he figured everyone should help him, and he never offered to help anyone else. I could live with the fact that he didn't want to be buddies, I respect peoples privacy. But I don't like folks that just want to use you, then when they don't need you act like you are beneath them.

I am proud to be a fiery Irish woman...I hate bad neighbors. I wouldve done the same thing. I have my neighbors dogs in my yard all the time and anotherone with a noisy 4 wheeler. I cant wait to have some roos crowing to get back at them. I have a 90 acre spread so not too many neighbors. Oh and did I mention the old lady that STOLE my dog. Dont even get me started on neighbors.

you just showed him how you felt about his being rude an inconsiderate.an he didnt like the way you did it.so he decided to move.i dont mind helping people.but i wont help people thats rude.or people that think you should help them all the time.

My neighbours are all really nice. All of them have had experience with poultry (of course I only have 3 direct neighbours). 1 has a duck (he lost his buddies to an owl), someone else has chickens, geese, a sheep, and rabbits. And the last one used to have ducks, geese, and chickens. The only problem I have is that the second ones dogs always come onto my property and poop and annoy my dog.

Back
Top Bottom