I was a skeptic...

Bylawevader

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
I was a skeptic when I read the administrators introduction stating how many new members this site received daily until I gave my mouse one flick of the scroll wheel on the New Members Introductions page. I am truly astounded by how many people have joined together on this website to provide, what I will be assuming to be, the best single source of information the web has to offer.

I am an average Joe living a modest life in one of the many valleys of British Columbia. I've found myself panicked over the COVID-19 pandemic: the endless lines at grocery stores, the hoarding of weapons and supplies, and the uncertainty of what the future holds for us has prompted my family to make some dramatic changes to our lives. One of those changes is to introduce chickens to the family!

We have four hens at the moment housed in an assembled coop that we bought on CL. I then made a run roughly 2m x 4m (6'x12') that I really need to change the design on. I only enclosed about 3/4 of the run, leaving the coop accessible to climbing prey. After reading through some of the builds here, I've come to the conclusion that I am just one sleep away from having a raccoon kill my four hens - the cookie-cutter-like coop is not sufficient to repel an attack. Luckily we have a dog that is very alert, and I've set up some booby traps for the time being that will hopefully make a lot of noise and alert the dog to bark and wake me from my sleep. I'd be ashamed if I let these birds die at the hands of my unhandiness.

I am excited to learn what you all have to offer. Take care during these crazy times, and bless you all!

With care,

Bylawevader

1586326658111.png

Bonus picture!

The four in transport from picking them up at the farm.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I did the same thing when I was thinking about getting chickens but I didn't buy a prefab. I came out of the starting gate with a very secure coop but it was not a walk-in style. So I converted an old shed on the property into the new coop. You could consider converting part of a shed into your new coop. It is so much easier to be able to walk into the coop!
Good luck on your upcoming re-build.

Greetings and welcome to the BYC family. As I recommend to all newcomers please look up The Chicken Chick’s website also. Very informative and a lot of her information is backed by science and recommendations from poultry vet experts. Plus her chicken coops and yard is downright gorgeous :). Of all the things you can do to keep your beautiful girls safe it’s to use hardware cloth on your run, not chicken wire, I personally used 1/2” over, under and around and not even my Rottie can penetrate it. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom