I was just wondering if anyone else notices this...

Chickenfan4life

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2012
Planet No
I went to the local Atwoods, and decided to get some babies. Well, when I head over to see the little chicks, I was just... horrified. Horrified at what I saw: bloodied baby chicks that have been vent-pecked so much they are soaked in blood and just being mutilated by the others, chicks crowded and crammed into tiny brooders, so that they have no space at all. In these situations, the slightest peck from another chick just starts a riot of attacks on the chick that's been pecked, seriously harming it, or even killing it.

The chicks have pasty rear, bloodied vents, dirty brooders, foul water... it makes me cry. I hate looking at their chicks because of this; you'd think I'd have remembered the monstrosities of the chick section. I didn't.

I saw one dying, laying, stone cold, in the brooder, peeping, and being trampled by other chicks. An employee comes up, takes the chick, and puts it in a paper towel and throws it away in the garbage cans. He tells me it's just a chicken, that its no big deal, that it's just how it is... well, it may be a chicken, but if it breaths and peeps, eats and drinks... by golly, it's a living creature that shouldn't be treated that way!

I just wanted to pour out my thoughts. I hope that you guys are like-minded and understand.
(Mods, I am so sorry if this is considered animal rights...)

That needs to go up their chain of command. I've never seen anything like that at my local feed stores, and it's just uncalled for. Plus, from a purely business standpoint, it's a huge waste of money.

That needs to go up their chain of command. I've never seen anything like that at my local feed stores, and it's just uncalled for. Plus, from a purely business standpoint, it's a huge waste of money.
Yeah. I have told them about it. Their response? "Oh, okay, we'll look into it." For crying out loud, take care of it! Give your chicks proper freaking care! It's not that darned hard!

rant.gif
<<,That would have been ME. I can not bear to see a living creature just tossed aside....yes, it's a chicken....for God's sake, have a little pity! :( I would have had a talk with management...and then up the chain of command. :(

Seriously, how would keeping chicks in that situation, make people want to get chicks?? Maybe out of pity for the poor things?
rant.gif

I've never seen that at the feed stores here, but yes, I have seen chicks that are dying from pasty bootie and such, but it's not as bad as you describe. Ugh, makes me sick.

I felt like crying; keeping composed was very hard for me, when I was looking at suffering, dying chicks. I was able to get a Sultan, which was still barely clinging to life, with a horrible case of pasty rear. When I cleaned his little bum, the smell of death and decay from his rear was so strong I was gagging. Horrible.

That is horrible! I have not seen those conditions at any of our local feed stores, however I did see some chicks and ducks kept in those type conditions at a small local private run pet store. I called our local ASPCA who told me to call the USDA and ask for my local office and make a report. Within two weeks all the chicks and ducks had been removed.

Maybe try a report to the USDA office in your area if the store management is not taking this seriously?

That is horrible! I have not seen those conditions at any of our local feed stores, however I did see some chicks and ducks kept in those type conditions at a small local private run pet store. I called our local ASPCA who told me to call the USDA and ask for my local office and make a report. Within two weeks all the chicks and ducks had been removed.

Maybe try a report to the USDA office in your area if the store management is not taking this seriously?
Yeah...

For now, I am managing to come away from the store with free chicks, since I often take the ones that are sick "off their hands" for them, since they just put them in a trash can. So far, we've saved six from a terrible fate.

Back
Top Bottom