I was looking at Home Depot sheds yesterday...

OMG that Japanese coop is exactly what I've wanted! I have an idea for another coop too that's been on my mind for 2 years.

I bought a cooks shed for around $3000. its 12 by 8 foot. so far only spend money on a dog door and a another window for it. Also just got another 12 foot by 8 foot shed for $300 but with moving it $400. I kind of wish I bought the chicken coops they were advertising on Craglist for $1500 holds 15 birds . I'll learn next time
smile.png

Yeah, we did the same thing.
I so wanted the HD shed, but just couldn't see spending that much.

We ended up building an 8x12 shed and, so far, it's cost us about $740 with all new materials (except for the $15 door from Habitat re-store).

We've never built anything in our lives, so this was quite the learning experience.
We had a few "re-dos" and tearing out nails and screws for the "do-overs" but it was all worth it.
I kept notes of everything I would do better.

I'm glad we built it!

We still need to add the window holes on this side:

newpics015.jpg

This side has the nestboxes.

z054.jpg

Home Depot sheds are wonderful, the chickens may love it but it's less kind on my purse. If I were you and if you have the time I'd just "copy" their sheds and you could probably build it for half the price. But if you don't have the time they're a great coop. Add a perch and some nesting boxes etc. you're ready to roll.
wink.png

QP

Yes, I saw a couple of metal sheds at HD on sale for $199 - but you had to tear them down and move them. I'm not that thrilled with how the metal sheds look - a little utilitarian, although I supposed you could make them look better. Right now the guy who gave me all of my free deck wood this week - enough to build my 8 x 8 coop -is also offering me his free 8 x 10 metal shed - just have to take it down and move it. I was thinking about it. I have to put up some interior wood to protect the birds from the heat/cold of the metal and the condensation. Add door (I have a door already), add windows (need to get those), create nest boxes. add vemts. It would be very cheap and less work than building one from scratch, BUT...I just think they don't look great. Wood is so much nicer. But I'll have to pay my handyman to build the wood one....

Back
Top Bottom