I was supposed to get hens!

I just got a call from a buyer yesterday. It seems that one of my BCM pullets I sold him turned out to be a hen. He is a nice guy and it was an honest mitake (this guy was a late bloomer and looked like a girl when I sold it months ago) I dont need another roo, and I practice bio-security but I am still taking it back and replacing it (unfortunatly i dont have another bcm to give him but will come up with a hen somehow to make it right. The roo will either go on eggbid or in the freezer unless he is more spectacular than the ones I kept in which case I will be having to make some hard decisions.

Either way the seller should do the right thing, have you contacted him? if so what did he say? Have you thought about processing them, at $2 a bird it is very economical and since you raised them you know how healthy they are ect. I like to use a processor for my chickens ( I have done it myself but this is way faster and less upsetting for me) they are sometimes hard to find but are usually listed as live poultry in the phone books. Chances are if you give them away on Craigs List most will end up in freezer camp anyway and then you just gave away a very good and healthy meal that your family could have benifited from. Just a thought I know for some people that is not an option to them.

Good luck either way
smile.png

I got 8 roos out of 8 sexed chicks - what are the odds of that? And yes, I was trying to buy girls... I even have a receipt that reads "pullets"...

.39% ... as in, less than half a percent ... would be your chances of getting 8 roos out of 8 tries, assuming a 50/50 chance of male/female (it isn't exactly that, but that's close enough for argument).

Looks like they were perfect on their sexing, but bad on their labels, and pulled from the wrong box ... or they were quite dishonest and knew they were selling all roos.
sad.png

Or it could be the customer that would pick up a chick and decided to put it down in the wrong bin when they dont want it. Sometimes they think its all the same thing, same color which they are not LOL!

Or someone spiteful, playing a game on all of us, switching and tossing babies here and there in bins.

Well, I am located near Asheville, NC. When I first discovered my roo situation a few days ago, I really thought that I had been scammed on purpose. At this point I have not contacted the farm because, the more I think about it, I think they man who sold them to me may have been the one who was really duped. Or at least that is what I am hoping. The farmer had never sold chickens before and was selling them because someone abandoned them with him (I see the huge red flag NOW). That person told him they were hens. Granted, he should have made sure before he sold them... but I can just imagine the recourse that is happening for him right now. He had hundreds. I feel it was a pretty reputable farm but don't really know how much good it would do me to go back. I'm not too concerned about my money they weren't that expensive... and there are people who process chickens in my area (as much as I would really hate for that be the case). Under normal circumstances I would never send any living thing to its death. I was just shocked and disappointed when I realized they were all roos because I was really looking forward to the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom