I wasn't aware that I had to 'manage' my flock.

Okay. So the coop is nice (I think). It has 2 roosting bars, 6 nesting boxes, sleeping space and 3 vents. The run area is 8ft because it goes underneath the coop also.
That should be good right?
How big is the coop? It's maneuvering room that is important. Your girls will be large birds. They can take up a sq foot, just standing still. They can have a wing span of 3 to 4 feet. Those are big birds! They need room to move around, get up and down, and turn around with all of them inside. For 6 birds, you'll need 6 linear feet of roosting space. You only need 2 or 3 nest boxes. And they sleep on the roosts. For your girls, to prevent overcrowding stress, you need to have at least 5 sq ft of coop space and at least 10 sq ft per bird. Over crowding stress is serious. They can get so stressed out from living in close quarters that they will peck each other to death.

We have actually talked with the local hatchery and farm, garden & feed store and they all agreed that the coop we built was pretty big and that the chickens, according to the specific breed information they gave us, will have a good & comfortable amount of coop & run space. They all said the same thing, that the chickens the suggested for us will need 2 sq. ft. of space each The farm & garden feed store always has their chickens & such running around so we were able to get a good idea of the coop & run we wanted to build (half the price of a store bought one that's for sure and much larger too!) along with an idea of how big the chickens that we have will get. The ones at the hatchery & farm, garden & feed store were all around the same size at 3 yrs. old, average I thought. We will be building the run when it stops raining, which will extend another 5ft. from the 8 ft. that we already have built onto the coop & 4ft. tall.
"Rain rain go away & come again some other day" right! :)

Hi. Thank you very much for your information & suggestions. Boy, I am really surprised at the quick & great responses that I received! We built the coop at 6x8 but we haven't made a 'run' yet. I am pretty much going about this chicken raising thing one day at a time and learning as I go. I am not sure yet as to how long and high it should be for the amount of chickens I have. I will try to post a picture of what we built. I tried your light in the coop idea and it worked! :) thank you
The coop/run looks nice. And with wheels, it looks like it can be easily moved to fresh ground as needed. Lazy Gardener had some solid suggestions, no need for me to repeat...I'll say plus 1 on his post.

We have actually talked with the local hatchery and farm, garden & feed store and they all agreed that the coop we built was pretty big and that the chickens, according to the specific breed information they gave us, will have a good & comfortable amount of coop & run space. They all said the same thing, that the chickens the suggested for us will need 2 sq. ft. of space each The farm & garden feed store always has their chickens & such running around so we were able to get a good idea of the coop & run we wanted to build (half the price of a store bought one that's for sure and much larger too!) along with an idea of how big the chickens that we have will get. The ones at the hatchery & farm, garden & feed store were all around the same size at 3 yrs. old, average I thought. We will be building the run when it stops raining, which will extend another 5ft. from the 8 ft. that we already have built onto the coop & 4ft. tall.

It sounds like you've gotten a handle on your chicken situation. Welcome to BYC! If you are having any trouble finding information do feel free to ask us questions. Someone around here has a good idea when it comes to ANY chicken related issues. Best wishes for you and your flock.

Those stores lie!!!

They told me I needed a 250w bulb for my 3 chicks. That is what the farmers use for 100- 150 chicks. And only a small box. There was nowhere for them to get away from the heat.

They sell EE's as Ameraucana. And they told me game bird starter with 28% protein wouldn't cause any long term health effects. It can cause gout. They said a red lamp was no better than a bright white 1 for the chicks.

They were wrong on all of those instances! So they may not be intentionally lying, but.... I would say chickens need 2ft of roost space maybe, but floor space? That's a ridiculous #!

You were given great advice and I understand you have intentions of making a bigger run. What you should realize is feed stores are in the business of making $. People here on BYC only want what's best for YOU and your chickens. Many people at feed stores don't even own animals themselves and never cared to research.

I am sure you will figure out what works best for you. I will say more room equals less problems.

Good luck!

The 2 sq ft coop thing is based on commercial chicken farm regulations. It does not translate to a happy, healthy backyard flock. Feed store employees rarely know what they are talking about.

Hi. Thank you very much for your information & suggestions. It has been raining quite a bit here lately but it's suppose to clear up by Thursday so
I will try putting the two in together in an outside pen on that day. The 'timid' one of the bunch so far has been the Australorp. The Buff seems to be the 'boss'
which is confusing because I heard that they are suppose to be good mothers but her and one of the 3 RIR's are the aggressive ones towards the little Ameracauna chick.
The only 'chickie treats' that I have learned about are hanging a piece of cabbage
or peeled & cored apples. I have been giving them mealworms also. They love those! :) How many times & how often should I give them treats?
Treats should only be 10% of their daily diet.
Raw corn on the cob, Broccoli, Cooked pasta, watermelon, pretty much what you eat is safe.

I have my little chicks in a wire cage in the coop and the chickens mill around them. They pecked the little chicks through the cage but now leave them alone while in the cage. When I put them out in the yard the juveniles attack them, chasing them into the brush. I am going to wait until they are at least a couple of weeks older (and faster). I like your idea about a buddy though. I might rig up a chicken tractor and put the 5 little ones in with one of my timid little pullets. She pretty much stays away from most of the others. It might not work but its worth a try. The only other time I had chicks there was always a mama hen to protect them so this is new to me.

Well I have been trying the buddy idea. My little pullet is not mean in the least but she keeps escaping somehow. I suspect it is with the help of one of my children. One of our little one-month old cochins is really mean and attacks me, the kids and the little pullet. I am trying to break it by tapping it on the head. I separated it for a couple of days and she quit until I put her back with the others but now she's back to being mean. She has brought blood to my hand twice now.

Back
Top Bottom