I went from executioner to chicken god !

I free range chickens and people who drive by always tease me about my chicken herd. Whenever I come out of the house they converge upon me and follow me everywhere...right along with the dogs and the cats! It makes me look like Noah's wife or something!
gig.gif

The property I used to rent I had to drive past the chicken coop to get to the house. The second I entered the driveway all the chickens would run for my car and be waiting when I opened the door.....hilarious! And sometimes inconvenient....
roll.png
lol.png

Quote:
Have you tried eggs, scrambled or hard boiled, yet?
My rooster almost choked himself today because he was trying to call the girls to come get the treats by making his clicking noise and eat at the treats (eggs) at the same time.
Some people dislike the idea of feeding eggs back to the chickens, but the chickens sure don't mind and it's a good protein boost for them.
When my chickens were young one would grab a piece of chopped egg and play keepaway. It was alot of fun to watch.

Quote:
Have you tried eggs, scrambled or hard boiled, yet?
My rooster almost choked himself today because he was trying to call the girls to come get the treats by making his clicking noise and eat at the treats (eggs) at the same time.
Some people dislike the idea of feeding eggs back to the chickens, but the chickens sure don't mind and it's a good protein boost for them.
When my chickens were young one would grab a piece of chopped egg and play keepaway. It was alot of fun to watch.

lau.gif
oops I mean poor thing! I just got a visual in my minds eye and just about choked myself LOL , And no I haven't tryed egg, Is that ok for young babies? cause if it is I do have some eggs I need to get used up soon. LOL

Quote:
I started offering chopped hard boiled eggs and plain yogurt at 10 days old. Never had a problem. Just as you experienced with the yogurt they'll be scared of it at first. Then one little brave soul tries it and you know the rest.
After the eggs and yogurt, I added one new treat each week. Now they eat anything that doesn't try to eat them first. The outside dog has tried to eat them, but I think they are seriously considering make an attempt on his life next.
Keep the amount of treats small, especially while they are very young. They need the complete nutrition of their chick starter. Treats are more to give them something to do.

I will be careful about the treats! I know that they need to eat the starter. But it is just so hard to look at them when they are looking at me like "Momma can we Have? " Or " What did ya bring us, We know ya got something!" So I treat the Dogs (7) the cat (1) the ferrets (3) so when I try and sneak a treat to one being very non challent, about the whole thing and look up to see 22 two eyes looking at me like wheres ours, Thank goodness the chickens will be outside I don't think I can take the stress! LOL. Any way Im just rambling on now so......bottom line I will be very careful about what and how much to give I do want them to be healthy. Thanks for the reminder though. LOL I did need that! Sandy

My chicks are only about a week old. I've been mixing a little yogurt with a little of their crumbles once a day. They love it and it doesn't get slung around. THis way i'm sure they are getting what they need. It just taste better (that's what the chicks say). LOL

Back
Top Bottom