I went to a chicken show... Number of Birds and NPIP

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tazcat70, Nov 11, 2007.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

And I was talking to lady who raises birds. She told me that they have 2500 birds! [​IMG] [​IMG]

She said that they had something like 39 breeds and then something like 140 different colors.

Is this the norm? How many birds do they usually have?

Tonya

Edited to ad:

Kansas State was also there. They had a class to show how to adminisiter the NPIP test. Has anyone else taken a class like this? Being so new to chickens, I am a little lost and I totally feel inadequate to be a licensed tester. But as soon as the state sends me the paperwork I will be. I really just wanted to know more about it.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Is that at the show, all participants, or just the one you talked too?

2500 seems like a lot, then to have 140 pens seems all but imposible, You would have to keep each breed and color seperated or they would just be mutts.

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

No, those were just her birds back at the farm! She said that her family moves birds and not tell her. She is the one who feeds them and will sometimes "Find" birds that they didn't tell her they moved.

I don't think that there were 2500 birds at the show. But there were birds in boxes that were not in pens for the shows....

Tonya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by