I Win!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pixie74943, Nov 11, 2010.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I defeated my broody hen [​IMG]

It took....

2 weeks of thinking she was too young and not really committed...

3 days in jail

1 week out of jail (it was cold and I wanted her healthy)

3 days in jail

3 days out of jail (she was taken off of the nest 4 or 5 times a day, pretty comfortable with me touching her)

3 days in jail (she sung the egg song twice, but never actually laid anything. Her appetite was waaaaay up and she drank a lot more water compared with her other jail trips)

aaaaand now

she has been back in the run for 3 or 4 hours now. she hasnt puffed up, screeched or anything broody like. Her clucks sound normal again, the only thing is she is reeeaaallly thin. But thats okay, she hasnt stopped pecking and scratching since she got out of jail, so she'll fatten up soon :)

It is do-able!! I defeated the evil broody!!!

Now I just have to beat the other one (she's on her 3rd jail trip, 3 days in, then 3 days out, if she's still broody, another 3 days in jail!)

2. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    [​IMG] What breeds ?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Congrats!!! Jail once usually works for mine!

4. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Both Bantam Wyandottes... Both Under a year old, I think I'm in for a lifelong battle with these two, if they're so stubborn so early!!

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Just wait...I thought I finally beat my australorp after 4 separate jail sentences over the summer. We had to put her in solitary (in the garage) because she was complaining so much. She went broody again in September. I just gave up and got her a couple of eggs. She was soooo happy and she's the best mom ever. Babies with a broody are a piece of cake. Now the question is will she do this again next summer? Unfortunately we now have cochins and silkies too...I better expand the jailhouse!

6. pixie74943

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    My two are a little to low on the pecking order, so I dont think she will be that good at protecting her babies. Plus I have no more space, soooo.... she'll just have to accept her fate as a layer and not a mummy

7. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:Good point. Francesca is high up and no one messes with her or her babies and no one bothered her nest. Rank has its privileges. We are nearing capacity too so she better not think she'll get to do this again next year!.

8. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    i'm new to this. why not just take the eggs and let her sit for awhile. she wont sit for the 21 days if there isnt any eggs correct? r is it u need the eggs for selling?

9. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:They'll sit there even without eggs. Then you have no egg production and and a grumpy bird starving herself. A broody in the house can cause others to go broody, then even few eggs.

10. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    i get the picture thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by