I Win!!!

you all are LUCKY! lol i have 22 silkies.... 10 are over a year old... one went broody this year but gave up a week later UGH i have 100 chickens and the ONLY one that went broody and succeded, was a sexlink! gahhh! i even bought 2 black silkie hens that according to their old owner had been broody for months, and since they didnt have a roo... and didnt want chicks they sold the hens to me... i was happy cuz yay broodies right?? LOL NOT that was 3 months ago and they havent gone broody once
lol
now i have 3 cochins too come on broody!

I un-win
sad.png
the broody screech is back... she's been unbroody long enough the gain some weight, lay about 5 or 6 eggs, get nice and healthy and BAM back on the nest
he.gif
I may have to let my boyfriend eat her

What I would do for a good broody. Because I am no good at hatching eggs. Has a broody hen ever starved herself completely? I know my gals get skinny but I always see them get down and get a fix several times in the process. I think you may be sad when your boyfriend see,s all her little eggs inside. Can you move her to the roost after dark or does her rank keep her sequestered to sleeping in the nest box. I don't know if that will help or not. But it may be worth a shot. Chickens will be chickens though...darn it!

I have my first broody. Black silkie hen I got at the fair this summer. My daughter was collecting her eggs, but the silkie was hogging the box and the other girls were so mad. My daughter let her keep one egg from the batam polish. I have her in the house now in a box. It has been getting down into the teens at night and I wanted to moniter her food. When my daughter brought her in I thought she only had one egg, but the polish had given her another one and there was my EE's olive egg in the box too. I have no idea how she got the EE's egg. They lay in different boxes and the silkie is in a different room in the coop. The only thing I can think of is when the silkie got up to eat and her door was open the EE snuck in and laid her egg. Or else the silkie stole it! So, she has 3 eggs and is happy as pie. But boy does that broody poo stink!!

Quote:
Like I said, mine wore me out and I gave her eggs. She is the best mom and is a happy bird. Maybe when they are that determined it means they'll stay on track with the eggs and chicks...no abandoning halfway through.

When mine went broody 4 wks ago, I just took the eggs and left her on the nest. 3 days later she was still setting with no eggs, so I gave her a few. I then removed all the other hens and closed off the coop. I placed a waterer and feeder in the coop and she hatched 5 out of the 7 eggs I gave her. I had 3 day old chicks that i had hatched in my bator so I gave her 5 of them. Now she is raising 10 chicks and seems as happy as can be. I have since moved momma and chicks to another pen where they can roam and scratch around. I added a heat lamp for just in case, but momma keeps them covered pretty well. I thought about giving her 10 more chicks just to see if she will accept them, but probably I probably wont.

Back
Top Bottom