I Witnessed Something Disturbing Today

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

One of my hens went broody and hatched 10 babies which are now about 2 months old.
I noticed yesterday for the first time that some of the male chicks are mounting their own mother like any rooster does to their lady friend.............
I was drinking a nice cup of tea and enjoying watching them when i witnessed this horror.
I was in shock about what i had witnessed when one of the other chicks also did the same :/

Obviously to be this is not normal, however hoping if someone can shed some light if this is normal behavior?
I mean there's other chicks around also not related to these 10 but they seem to be only mounting their mother :/

Photo 1 is when they were young, and looking back at it now, should of gave me a sign and 2nd photo is just recently

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Hi all,

One of my hens went broody and hatched 10 babies which are now about 2 months old.
I noticed yesterday for the first time that some of the male chicks are mounting their own mother like any rooster does to their lady friend.............
I was drinking a nice cup of tea and enjoying watching them when i witnessed this horror.
I was in shock about what i had witnessed when one of the other chicks also did the same :/

Obviously to be this is not normal, however hoping if someone can shed some light if this is normal behavior?
I mean there's other chicks around also not related to these 10 but they seem to be only mounting their mother :/

Photo 1 is when they were young, and looking back at it now, should of gave me a sign and 2nd photo is just recently
It's normal. A bit disturbing, but normal.
I still can't stand seeing my rooster breed his daughters.

Hi all,

Ew. You need to have a serious heart to heart with those babies.

Yes, weird, but completely normal. As the chicks age, they will not remember what bird reared them and definitely won’t remember which bird is the biological mother. Instinct gives them a job to do and they don’t waste time doing it.

Breeding mothers/sons and fathers/daughters is acceptable (in the chicken world), but definitely not siblings!

First pic is pretty normal, and quite cute.

Young cockerel a few weeks old that used to ride around on his parents backs until he got too big. My rooster was not amused;
View attachment 2455564
It was pretty cute.

He did not attempt to actually mate his mother until he was 7 months. His dad was having none of that, and promptly sent him running.
Omg too friggin’ cute... I love that your chickens live in a literal fortress... I’m gonna tell my husband that’s the “fencing” that I want now!!!

To be honest, the more i see them doing this, the more i need to identify which ones are the males and need to move them on as this hen is my most beloved of all.
Unfortunately for me, it appears all of the yellow ones which were born(now whitish) ones seem to be males (i'm not 100% sure though).
I will be taking some of their photos and will post it here and would appreciate if some of the experts here can confirm if they are infact males.

Back
Top Bottom