I wonder.......?

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
You know how, sometimes, if you arent use to organic foods they can taste kinda nasty? well i wonder if chickens feel the same? we all know its better for you but man oh man just cant get over that taste! Anyone else ever felt/thought about this befor?
~Bri

My chicks eat everything, i don't really think they have any type of preference. That being said, i have no idea why some organic foods taste bad... i don't see a reason for that... *shrug*

As young chicks, my chickens hated bananas. I mashed some and gave it to them once. One bite and they all ran to me and rubbed their beaks on my jeans leg as a commentary.
Now they are close to a year old and I finally tried bananas again. They love em now.
They still hate greens - spinach, collards, lettuce, cabbage, etc. I've never found a green thing to feed them that they like. Yet they spend all day free ranging and eating "greens".
hu.gif

Quote:
Have you tried broccoli? Mine go NUTS for broccoli, it's the only thing i can use to lure them into the coop at night (we're still in training). They barely even go after bugs like they do broccoli. Unfortunately my son loves broccoli too, so he gets really upset at the chickens when they're eating his trees!

Isn't that funny, the different tastes they have! Mine adore salad greens - spinach is their ultra-favorite, but also escarole, romaine, and plain old iceberg lettuce. Mine like bananas ok, and broccoli also is just ok, but they love green beans and peas. Also cucumbers, zucchini, squash, or pumpkin cut open - the seeds are gone in seconds! The rest is eaten down to the rind. Likewise melons. And tomatoes, oh, BOY!
ya.gif

As far as the taste of organic food, their layer feed is Dumor, not labelled organic, but they seem to like it. All the garden stuff is grown in my garden, where we don't use chemical fertilizers or pesitcides.

Quote:
Yep, no go on the brocolli too. I guess they get enough greens from what they eat free ranging.
They also don't like pumpkin. Love the seeds, but won't touch the flesh.
Mine are heavily into fruits. Watermelon, apple, peach, you name it. Their ultimate favorite is figs. Though the fig trees are just starting to get their leaves, my roo is already checking them daily. He looks at the fig trees and then looks at me, hoping....

I noticed that my pullets when they were younger would turn their noses up at many things my hens would eat. Now that they're older they almost fight the hens for goodies such as lettuce and many other vegies and other produce. I have so much growing the birds get a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom