I would like some advice on deworming my two hens please

If it is tapeworms, keep in mind a few things.

The Equimax medication that @Texas Kiki posted, is an excellent dewormer. Just be aware that it has not been approved in the US for use in laying hens. Many people here feel comfortable using it "off-label" for chickens, but discard the eggs for 14 days after treatment.

Second, tapeworms are spread through insects. Basically your hens poops out the white tapeworm segments, an insect eats the segments and becomes a carrier. Your hen then gets tapeworms from eating the insect -- typically beetles, ants or flies. The de-wormer you give your chicken will kill the existing tapeworms in your chicken, but it will not prevent your chicken from getting new tapeworms when it eats another insect. I don't know how you keep your chickens, but after you dose them, you may want to move them to fresh ground and /or try control the insect population.

If it is tapeworms, keep in mind a few things.

The Equimax medication that @Texas Kiki posted, is an excellent dewormer. Just be aware that it has not been approved in the US for use in laying hens. Many people here feel comfortable using it "off-label" for chickens, but discard the eggs for 14 days after treatment.

Second, tapeworms are spread through insects. Basically your hens poops out the white tapeworm segments, an insect eats the segments and becomes a carrier. Your hen then gets tapeworms from eating the insect -- typically beetles, ants or flies. The de-wormer you give your chicken will kill the existing tapeworms in your chicken, but it will not prevent your chicken from getting new tapeworms when it eats another insect. I don't know how you keep your chickens, but after you dose them, you may want to move them to fresh ground and /or try control the insect population.

Thank you! I am guessing ants and flies are my culprits. I live in central IL and this year was hot or rainy which meant great times with flies, ants,slugs and mosquitos. it has been non stop until about 2 weeks ago? weather is changing and seeing less bugs.

Good Morning! there is so much conflicting info on raising chickens , it makes my head spin. I'm not good at sharing articles but will try.

lg.php

Can Chickens Eat Oatmeal?
Adding Mealworms for Chickens to Winter Oatmeal Can Increase Protein
March 15, 2019Author : Lisa SteeleCategories : Feed & Health, Kids' Corner
GettyImages-485295403-e1499988811509.jpg

Can chickens eat oatmeal? Yes. They certainly can! Oatmeal for chickens is one of my favorite treats to serve my flock in the winter. Warm oatmeal for chickens is a nutritious, energizing snack for them. Chickens love oats, which are an excellent source of vitamins, protein, and antioxidants. Raw or cooked, oats provide essential vitamins and nutrients including calcium, choline, copper, iron, magnesium, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, and zinc.

According to a study done by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, feeding chickens oatmeal has been shown to improve the general health of chickens. And adding a three percent ration of oats to chickens’ diets can reduce pecking and cannibalism, both of which can be problems during the cold months when your chickens might be “cooped up” more than normal.

for every article that says "do this" , there is another saying "don't do this". boggles the mind.
thank you for sharing. I will continue my research on the topic.

You are correct, there is a lot of conflicting information and opinions on a lot of things in regards to chickens. My personal philosophy is to try as much as possible to keep things to what they would be eating normally if humans were not involved. That's simplistic and things don't always work 100% that way, but that's my basic premise. Base and main diet of balanced chicken feed, EVERYTHING else is a treat and only given in moderation. There are many things that are good for them, eggs, tuna, etc., but all are occasional and in moderation and are TREATS. Have I EVER given mine oatmeal - yes. Do I do it very often - no. For produce, berries, etc I try to give in the natural season they grow in, same times as they would find them on their own foraging. Sick or rehabbing birds will often get cooked eggs or tuna or other appropriate things for their needs, a chicken is fairly unlikely to find tuna on their own! Likewise yogurt or buttermilk, but those also have benefit on occasion. For most things, if it's not a regular daily thing, they should be fine assuming they are in good health over all. Moderation I think is key, and it's very easy to overfeed any kind of treat since they are so much smaller than we are. And it's very easy to dilute the protein and micro nutrients they need by giving too many treats. Common sense is an important tool.

You are correct, there is a lot of conflicting information and opinions on a lot of things in regards to chickens. My personal philosophy is to try as much as possible to keep things to what they would be eating normally if humans were not involved. That's simplistic and things don't always work 100% that way, but that's my basic premise. Base and main diet of balanced chicken feed, EVERYTHING else is a treat and only given in moderation. There are many things that are good for them, eggs, tuna, etc., but all are occasional and in moderation and are TREATS. Have I EVER given mine oatmeal - yes. Do I do it very often - no. For produce, berries, etc I try to give in the natural season they grow in, same times as they would find them on their own foraging. Sick or rehabbing birds will often get cooked eggs or tuna or other appropriate things for their needs, a chicken is fairly unlikely to find tuna on their own! Likewise yogurt or buttermilk, but those also have benefit on occasion. For most things, if it's not a regular daily thing, they should be fine assuming they are in good health over all. Moderation I think is key, and it's very easy to overfeed any kind of treat since they are so much smaller than we are. And it's very easy to dilute the protein and micro nutrients they need by giving too many treats. Common sense is an important tool.

Back
Top Bottom