I would like some advice on ordering baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickadee28, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Chickadee28

Chickadee28 Songster

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    I have been looking at all of the hatcheries online and I am unsure what to do. I would like to do a small order of less than 25, but Meyer does not have all of the breeds that I want. With the small order charge it costs the same as ordering 25. I was looking at ordering the ornamental layer assortment from McMurray and selling or giving away the ones that I choose not to keep. I wouldn't think I would have any trouble finding homes for them since they will be pullets. I would plan to keep 8 of them and find homes for the rest.

I thought about just buying some older pullets, but I really want my kids to have the experience of raising chicks. I could hatch a few, but at this point I don't want any roo's, my neighbors are pretty close.

What would be the best option for me? Just do the small order program? I thought the ornamental layer assortment would be nice, I would have a nice selection to choose from but I would be stressed if I couldn't find homes for the rest of them. Did any of you all order more chicks than you wanted?

I know I am rambling... I just keep going back and forth on what to do. I could pre order the chicks from Mcmurray now so I am getting a little anxious [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    mypetchicken.com allows for small orders, but they're sold out for the year and will not start shipping chicks again until next February.

The reason the hatcheries want you to buy the larger quantity is because of warmth during shipping. The more babies in the box, the warmer the chicks stay and are more likely to arrive hail and live. [​IMG]

If there is a feed store near where you live, usually they'll have chicks for sale during the spring.

3. joanm

joanm Songster

May 13, 2007
    I ordered from mypetchicken. I ordered three chicks and they sent two more of the same kind I ordered for warmth. The warming pad they ship with the chicks is $25 - Pricey but worth it I think.

4. LisaJean

LisaJean Songster

Hi Dawn!

I ordered more than I needed, and then looked on Craigslist for people looking for chickens. I found a nice local family who took the extras off my hands. I didn't ask for any money for them, but you could post an ad on Craigslist and offer them for sale, or for trade if there's other stuff you need.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Maybe you can find someone close to you, that wants to go in with you on the order!?? If I was closer.....no, I cant..LOL...but I would! LOL Oh DH would not like that...but.....he doesnt feed and care for them...but he builds the coops...OH THE DELIMA!!

6. Chickadee28

Chickadee28 Songster

Sep 20, 2007
    Western IL
    Well Deb, I am not that far from Indiana [​IMG] I think I will just do an order of 25 and find homes for them. I am not concerned about getting any $ for them. I will post them here first and then locally if needed. I thought the assortment would be fun, but I will probably change my mind 50 times before I actually order the little babies [​IMG]

7. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I got 2 roosters in my all girl order from mypetchicken.
    Good luck giving them away....LOL....i have a hard time doing it. I got 3 splash silkie roosters that are so beautiful....i cant keep them all and hate to give them away [​IMG]

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Songster

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I'm going to be facing the same dilema this spring. I only want 6-8 female chicks. I do have a friend who wants to go in on an order with me but she only wants a few for herself. She may know someone else who is interested in going but she tells me she's had problems before sorting out which chicks are which if different breeds are ordered. I'm leaning toward Meyer's or mypetchicken but I do worry about the rooster issue. I can't have one here. We're only on 3/4 of an acre and the neighbors won't put up with it!

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Look at Ideal Hatchery . I love them, they are great. I have had 100% accuracy with sexing. I have ordered over 50 chicks from them and I have never lost one from shipping. You can order 8, they may send some warmers (little roos) but you can find homes for them.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:In the past few weeks, I've gone through the same stress as you are, so here's a [​IMG] for starters.
    I've decided to order from Ideal. I've heard lots of good things about them from people here on the forum. I plan to order 12 brahma female chicks, 4 of each: dark, light, and buff and an additional roo, thinking I'll do him in buff. Shhhhhhh....the SO thinks I'm only gonna order a "few" chickens, which in his mind is 3 or 4. [​IMG] and yes, I am obsessive compulsive and there has to be a nice, even number and the same amount of each color.
    I'm not really sure what they are going to charge me extra to assure warmth and safety for the chicks, but I'm willing to pay it. If, as suggested they throw in extra roos, I will find homes for em, even though I don't like to think about some of those homes being in stew pots.
    A hint about offering animals free online or in print though. I've always heard that it's better to ask a nomimal amount for animals you are trying to give away, even just a few dollars. People are less likely to mistreat or discard a creature that they've actually had to pay money for as opposed to getting for nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: