I would like to say something to everyone.

If the eggs are packaged well then no problem. If the eggs are tossed in and bouncing around, wouldn't buy for them again.

I've probably had a good 90% on damaged boxes. Breaks my heart to see all the chicks from someone else's hatch from the same seller.

I've had sellers that have been so helpful and sent eggs when they didn't have too.

It's a shame that some buyers are as under handed that they can slam a buyer in order to get eggs they aren't entitled too.

Why can't both buyers and sellers be honest and up front?

Yeah like that's going to happen. Doesn't happen outside the chicken world either.

There's just a lot of dishonest people in this world, period.

Know what's sad? No matter how much we talk about it, it's never going to change.

Yep it certainly is! I have only purchased eggs twice. Once, the eggs were lost for 3 weeks in the mail (not the sellers fault at all) - not a single one hatched. The second time all 30 of them came with detached/loose air sacs (or so I was told by a friend who looked at them). I set them anyway and had all but 6 hatch. You just never know.

Just want to say a couple things....
Those of us who have been around know a few rules about selling/shipping eggs. This is just a cover all so new sellers might pickup something they might have missed.

Hi! And egg sellers, please take a moment to candle the eggs before you oh-so-carefully wrap and pack them.
smile.png

Lisa​

I have been shipping hatching eggs for many years.

In the last 4 years shipping hundreds I have not had ONE BROKEN EGG. Yes check with every buyer after they receive them.

Keep in mind some type of eggs are harder to hatch anyway. Turkey, peafowl for two....

I do pack eggs so they can't move around.

I have one. I read on BYC the other day that a person recieved eggs and over half were spotted-you know the egg shell itself looked bubbly-its early and I havent had my java yet so excuse the lack of proper wording-so anyway this person got eggs and noticed over half were spotty-and she never even tried to inubate them she threw them away! Ive gotten those kinds of eggs in the mail and at least tried to incuabte them and I have had chicks hatch from them!-when I read that I felt bad for the seller as I know that made them feel bad and upset that the buyer never even attempter to try with the eggs-and they were a newbie without alot of incubation experience:-( She could have had a great hatch if she gave every egg the benefit of the doubt.

Or the folks who candle at day 3-4 and say they arent fertile-Ive candeled my eggs that early and saw no growth but left them in and at day 10 most were growing! SO I think people need to have alot of patience and not jump to quick conclusions.

I feel very fortunate to have had good luck hatching shipped eggs. I have bought eggs from Georgia, N. Carolina, Indiana, Minnesota,
Washington state, and Texas - all shipped to New Hampshire. I have received three packages that had one or two cracked or broken, but even with that, most of the rest hatched. The sellers have not charged me for broken or cracked eggs, issuing me a paypal credit.
Almost all of them have wanted to know how my hatches have been. I have always reported the results, figuring they may be curious. I would want to know how any eggs I shipped had performed.

I changed one thing in my incubation procedure after going to a presentation at a poultry show. The presenter said to let the eggs rest after shipping in an egg box (small end down, of course) for at least 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. This settles the egg and may help to rearrange the air pocket if it has become skewed. I used to rush putting the eggs in, but now I wait. My hatch rates all increased - I have gotten anywhere from 20% - 80% hatch rates. I have never had nothing hatch. I have also candled and seen some very weird air pockets but left the eggs in to see what happened. I trace the pocket outline with a pencil at the first candling and then again at the second, so I can see if the space is increasing as it should and whether I should adjust the humidity level. Some of the weird shaped pockets hatch, some don't.

DH has been hatching eggs for many many years. Since before we were married in 1993.

Once we could get it around here, we purchased a digital thermometer/hygrometer. One thing we do is, EVERY batch we set in the incubator we change the battery in the thermometer/hygrometer. I save the batteries we remove for things like the tv remote, game console controllers, etc.

ETA: We hatch our own AND hatch shipped eggs

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi! And egg sellers, please take a moment to candle the eggs before you oh-so-carefully wrap and pack them.
smile.png

Lisa

What are you looking for when you candle them before shipping? Cracks?

Quote:
smile.png

Lisa

What are you looking for when you candle them before shipping? Cracks?

I think some people were mentioning getting half started embryos (dead) in their eggs with some sellers

Back
Top Bottom