I wouldn’t exactly call it an emergency…

bobbi-j

Enabler
14 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
I’m just not sure where to post this. I found this in my nest box today:
BFF3A650-2DAB-44A0-AEFA-9D870E3EA255.jpeg

Next to a large egg for size comparison:
E09D6EBB-A4AF-4E46-B83F-C98484A80D39.jpeg

Of course I had to dissect it. There were two distinct layers covering it:
4B20A0A5-7CD1-4D43-86B1-3FF61C35FBB6.jpeg

This is what was inside:
2CA87607-37AA-4E32-940A-58510CD1F499.jpeg
0C8AAE71-1E84-479E-972D-305235BF4042.jpeg

In almost 40 years of chicken keeping, I have never seen anything like this.

Oh wooooow. I can't even begin to make an educated guess. A horrible tumor/polyp of sorts in the reproductive system?! That... is crazy. I'm so following this. Do all the laying hens seem in good spirits??

They all seem to be doing fine. There was one in a different nest this morning that didn’t want to go out when I let the rest out, but she wasn’t there this evening when I locked them up.

I’m just not sure where to post this. I found this in my nest box today:
View attachment 3315093

Next to a large egg for size comparison:
View attachment 3315130

Of course I had to dissect it. There were two distinct layers covering it:
View attachment 3315222

This is what was inside:
View attachment 3315233View attachment 3315241

In almost 40 years of chicken keeping, I have never seen anything like this.
Does it smell at all? Looks weird, even for a lash egg (which it sort of looks like).. Normally a lash egg will have a pungent/off putting smell if you take a whiff, at least that's what I've had in my experience.

Regardless of color, I do think that is a lash egg. They sometimes contain blood or tissue, though not always. There are a couple of pictures here of darker colored ones inside:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
If you do a search of 'lash eggs in chickens' you will get more images, dark ones mixed in, but not as common.
So sorry. Whichever bird passed that may feel better for a while having gotten rid of that, but it's likely going to progress. She may pass more, or it may just build up inside. I've had them live for as long as 18 months with salpingitis, but many have passed sooner. It's very hard to predict. You can try treating if you want, but it's notoriously resistant to treatment. Usually enrofloxacin is what is recommended. They hide this illness so well that it's usually advanced by the time you know.

I haven’t seen one of those, but it must be some sort of lash egg or weird egg. It is a lot darker than the ones I have seen in pictures. I am going to tag @Wyorp Rock in case she has seen one like that.
No, I haven't seen one like that color. It's pretty cool looking though.

Looks Lash Egg-ish but also like numerous membranes within all of it as well. Whatever it is, I'd say it's not that good.

It's interesting.

What do you want to do Bobbi-J? If you're sure of which hen that expelled it, then consider giving Amoxicillin or Baytril. Salpingitis and infections of the oviduct can be from a number of things - from past respiratory illness to infection from E. Coli.

No, I haven't seen one like that color. It's pretty cool looking though.

Looks Lash Egg-ish but also like numerous membranes within all of it as well. Whatever it is, I'd say it's not that good.

It's interesting.

What do you want to do Bobbi-J? If you're sure of which hen that expelled it, then consider giving Amoxicillin or Baytril. Salpingitis and infections of the oviduct can be from a number of things - from past respiratory illness to infection from E. Coli.
It was in the older hens’ coop. I can’t be sure of who expelled it, but suspecting the 3 year old BO that didn’t want to leave the coop this morning. No one really looks sick that I have noticed.

It was interesting to open it up. It didn’t really smell bad. I was kind of surprised.

Back
Top Bottom