1. beeksnfeet

beeksnfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    IL/WI border
    Not sure if I'm in the right area, but I would like to know what others use for ice around the coop. I have to walk across a porch and down stairs to get to the ground level and out to the coop/run. We usually shovel and de-ice the proch and stairs with something like an Ice Melt product. I would be draging this into the run when going to take care of the ckickens and I do not want to hurt our girls by leaving some kind of crud behind that was on my shoes. Our run is dirt, but is now covered with tons of leaves and some sand mixed with dirt under the coop. I am not worried about putting anything in the coop as DH added a solid roof over the entire area for winter. We are putting up plastic around the whole area to stop as much snow and wind from whipping through. What is safe? What do you all use?:/

2. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sawdust, shavings or sand (coarse, construction sand) would work. Each would give you some need traction, yet still be safe for the chickens.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I usually use shavings just because they are handy, like c2chicks said, sand or sawdust would work the same. I've never used them but there are some "pet safe" de-icers made from carbonyl diamide / urea available.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by