Ice hatched out her eggs!!!

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Well while I was off having fun at Islands of Adventure in Universal studio with the youthgroup my blackshoulder peahen Ice hatched out all three of the eggs she has been incubating. We thought the eggs were due to hatch last Sunday but when they didn't hatch I still let her stay on them in hopes that they were not too late. The father is Dragon, who as most of you have read has passed on. My mom sent me pictures to my phone but I could barely see the peachicks on the small phone screen. Today I got to see the cute little peachicks for the first time! We think that Ice is split to something, she was a free-range peahen from the zoo so that is very possible, but why we think this is because each peachick appears to be a different variety. One looks like it is a pied, one is ither a white or a blackshoulder, and the other I can't get a good look at...It might be a split or something. Dragon was an India blue pied but I kind of thought he might have been split to blackshoulder but I was never quite sure. The pictures are from yesterday my mom took them, it is kind of hard to see them all and the dark one is really hard to see but hopefully you can identify them and I would like to know what Ice might be...Is she split to white?

In this picture you can see the white/blackshoulder peachick behind Ice in the grass and the pied and unknown one together. The pied one is in the front.
IMG_6496.jpg

This is the picture that makes me think this peachick is a pied, it is the one to the left. Today when I saw it it looked pied to me, I hope it lives to adulthood...Dragon lives on!
IMG_6497.jpg

In this picture they are all to the left of Ice, the closest is the pied one, then the one I am not sure about, then the white/blackshoulder one.
IMG_6499.jpg

Most of the time they are under Ice so it is hard to get a good look at them so I will have to look out for the tanish wings showing up on the white looking one right cause that would mean it is a blackshoulder? This is a huge surprise comming from Ice, could my pied peahen Damsel even have contributed to the nest and that is why I got a pied? Maybe not all the eggs were Ice's...I have no idea I am just happy for all the different kinds I got!
wee.gif

Soo happy for ya, i know this helps ease the pain of loosing Pip and Dragon.
They are beautiful
love.gif
can't wait to see more photos of them as they grow.

Congrats!!! Now to keep them safe and sound and praise Ice for her great mommy skills! They are beautiful chicks, I hope to see many more pictures of them! Maybe the little pied needs a name like Komodo
wink.png

I am so happy that they hatched. Be sure to put extra wire on that pen so the babies don't go through the wire
wink.png
She needs some coffee after sitting through everything! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think this might be Ice's first peachicks. Yes we do need to try and put some small wire on that pen. Kedreeva Komodo sounds like a great name, I was thinking about naming Peep Raptor, but it is getting harder and harder for me to think about re-naming Peep.
tongue.png
My mom said that they opened the door to the small pen so Ice could enter the larger pen and she took the peachicks for a stroll in the bigger pen. When I got back from the trip today it was raining and Ice was in the big pen all wet on the ground over the peachicks. Poor Ice got all wet keeping her chicks dry. When the rain stopped she returned to the small pen and we closed it up. I think we will do that every day until it seems like it is safe to keep them in with the other peafowl. My mom said Ice was fine with Alto getting close to the peachicks but when Damsel got close to them Ice hissed at her.

That is awasome I am so happy for you.we were out all day. little blue will be so excited she will post in the morning. good luck I hope I turns out to be like dragon

Thanks I am really excited to see them again tomorrow! I can't wait to watch Ice with them it was so cute seeing them pop their little heads out from underneath her and then run around.

Back
Top Bottom