ICE in the waterer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pinky, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It was soo cold last night that the water in my chicken's waterers froze solid.My pond was frozen halfway across the surface.I didn't think it was going to be that cold.I refilled the waterers after I could melt the ice.My chickens were trying to drink the ice [​IMG]
    All of my chickens are ok though.The cold doesn't seen to bother them [​IMG]

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I had ice in my waterers too. The waterers are sitting on water heaters that are suppose to be good to -10 degrees. I will trade you any day. The chickens seem to be doing well although there are some funny friendships forming. Guess they do what has to be done to stay warm. Even the underlings are invited into the tightly packed bundle of chickens at night.
    Sorry for the inconvienence you are going thorugh. It is a tough winter this year for all of us.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I noticed that too.The hens that are lower in the pecking order are now able to get close with the others and not picked on.Now they even eat next to each other without worry,although they don't act cold in the day.I'm going to try and find a heater for the water.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If the cold persists, you might appreciate a heated water bowl. They come with a wire guard on the electrical cord. I had a double-walled 3 gal galvanized waterer in my coop on a heater base but it was awkward and hard to refill. I like this far better and you can unplug it when you don't need the heat. Best way to clean it is to dump into a catch bucket, wipe and refill from a jug. I gave the other setup to the barn cats!

[​IMG]

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had ice over a heated bucket under a heat lamp. [​IMG] So glad that cold weather has passed. The chickens just don't understand breaking ice for water like the horses do so even a very thin layer kept them from drinking.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I use 2 water fonts. One comes inside the shop to thaw and the other goes in the greenhouse that I use for the winter coop. I swap them daily.

7. Ravenseye

Ravenseye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Pepperell, MA
    It was 15 below yesterday morning. I'm de-icing the waterer at least twice a day...once about 5 AM and again when I get home in the evening. My wife adds some warm water around mid day. Still, it's solid as a rock in the evening. Warmer days are coming....I think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by