Ice storm crushed guinea run

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
I guess I’ll be making the new Guinea run sooner than planned... The white PVC central posts holding up the netting mostly crumpled an hour after I took this picture. I’m going to need to let the guineas out to free range tomorrow since the run is now demolished, but there are still trees and branches falling all over the place.
8A1DFF30-03DC-42E3-89E8-E32B15C85A0C.jpeg
FB89169F-8961-460A-92CE-B9181EB8E87B.jpeg

I guess I’ll be making the new Guinea run sooner than planned... The white PVC central posts holding up the netting mostly crumpled an hour after I took this picture. I’m going to need to let the guineas out to free range tomorrow since the run is now demolished, but there are still trees and branches falling all over the place.View attachment 2389859View attachment 2389863
Sorry that you have to deal with this. Any net covered structures here have to be well built. The heavy wet snows in the fall and the spring can cause unbelievable amounts of damage.

Sorry that you have to deal with this. Any net covered structures here have to be well built. The heavy wet snows in the fall and the spring can cause unbelievable amounts of damage.
Oh I bet! It’s not like our structures would do great in snow, but at least I could have shaken the snow off. The ice refused to budge when I shook the netting - it was stuck tight!

Oh I bet! It’s not like our structures would do great in snow, but at least I could have shaken the snow off. The ice refused to budge when I shook the netting - it was stuck tight!
The problem is when 8" of heavy wet snow falls after you go to sleep and before you get up, the damage is already done.

Sorry you are dealing with this, but it's true. Build it strong enough for maximum snow load, and ice won't damage it. You could get hurt out there too!
Mary
This was the temporary run built last spring that showed me that I really need a more permanent run for them... looks like I need that new run sooner rather than later. I plan to disassemble this when it thaws enough to take apart.

I guess I’ll be making the new Guinea run sooner than planned... The white PVC central posts holding up the netting mostly crumpled an hour after I took this picture. I’m going to need to let the guineas out to free range tomorrow since the run is now demolished, but there are still trees and branches falling all over the place.View attachment 2389859View attachment 2389863
Oh no!!! I giggled at expression on the guinea behind green rod though-"what the--?"🤔

Cattle panels with t posts should support your netting? Here's the one I got the idea from. He said there's a danger re snow load, but he's using it as a greenhouse so the plastic would block snow from falling through.
https://homegrownorg.ning.com/profiles/blogs/cattle-panel-barns-greenhouses-and-snow-loads
I got impatient waiting for Himself so ended up getting an arched tunnel made of hollow tubing. It also has netting on it, but I use it for vertical gardening. It's still standing. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom