Ice & Water Membrane to replace Vinyl on Drop Boards?

Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I originally used a cheap piece of vinyl on top of my drop boards, made two mistakes: used cheap vinyl; did not use edge trim to deter little peckers. End result was the ladies have torn it apart, my PDZ is falling through the cracks and cleanup pushes droppings underneath the torn edges.

I am building a cabin extension for a client and a part roll of Ice and Water Membrane remains. For those who might not know what this is think about a roof shingle; the membrane is very similar except is thinner, flexible and come in a roll 3' by 60'. It has a light grit on top and an adhesive on the bottom; designed to adhere to the roof sheeting and prevent any leaks from intruding if water bypasses the main top roofing material.

It seems a natural to use but I am concerned that my chickens will once again tear it apart (this time I will trim all edges with wood) and that ingesting bits of it will be harmful to them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I originally used a cheap piece of vinyl on top of my drop boards, made two mistakes: used cheap vinyl; did not use edge trim to deter little peckers. End result was the ladies have torn it apart, my PDZ is falling through the cracks and cleanup pushes droppings underneath the torn edges.

I am building a cabin extension for a client and a part roll of Ice and Water Membrane remains. For those who might not know what this is think about a roof shingle; the membrane is very similar except is thinner, flexible and come in a roll 3' by 60'. It has a light grit on top and an adhesive on the bottom; designed to adhere to the roof sheeting and prevent any leaks from intruding if water bypasses the main top roofing material.

It seems a natural to use but I am concerned that my chickens will once again tear it apart (this time I will trim all edges with wood) and that ingesting bits of it will be harmful to them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Because of the tar adhesive, I wouldn't do it.
Have you considered just caulking the gaps and putting down 2 or 3 coats of Porch and Floor paint? I use that on my boards with a thin layer of PDZ with no issues.

Because of the tar adhesive, I wouldn't do it.
Have you considered just caulking the gaps and putting down 2 or 3 coats of Porch and Floor paint? I use that on my boards with a thin layer of PDZ with no issues.

I used 1" by 6" pine boards and the PDZ falls between the cracks. I painted them with BlackJack 57 but it does not seal the cracks, nor would any other paint. I have thought to replace the boards with plywood but caulking may be the answer...

Thanks for the feedback I was concerned about using bitumen products.

Last edited:
Room to just lay plywood over boards, then paint or BJ?
Would be easier than caulking and guaranteed not to be picked at/out by chickens.

I think you are right, simple and easy. I can cut to size, apply the BJ57, let it dry and lay it in. Don't have to worry about the ladies eating wet caulking.

Thanks ma'am!

I bought a roll of garage floor lining (not exactly cheap) but my plan is to line out entire coop/poultry barn with it, chicken area is 6x12. Not sure if it will work, but it's my plan to put this under the roost too so I have the ability to pull it out and spray it off.

I bought a roll of garage floor lining (not exactly cheap) but my plan is to line out entire coop/poultry barn with it, chicken area is 6x12. Not sure if it will work, but it's my plan to put this under the roost too so I have the ability to pull it out and spray it off.
What is the exact product @amk122284 ....got a link?

What is the exact product @amk122284 ....got a link?

It's called G-Floor. I got it from Menards, which tends to be a midwest regional store that isnt nation wide, so it was cheaper than their actual website is listing it at. The reason I bought it is because our coop floor is concrete and I didnt want to permanently stink it up or what not lol. If we ever decide to go no chickens or sell it wouldnt be difficult to roll up the floor and toss it.

https://gfloor.com/collections/flooring/products/ribbed

Back
Top Bottom