Iceberg lettuce for your birds

What I Learned About Iceberg Lettuce Today: It IS actually good for you. You can offer it to your teenager as a safe mind enhancing drug? Apparently it is not as easy to grow as other lettuce (so then, why bother? Doesn't taste nearly as good either).

But more seriously, how could it possibly be bad for chickens? And, of course it makes parrots poop, it is just fiber and water. Salad keeps me regular too.

The big concern with iceburg lettuce is pesticide contamination. It tends to soak it up and retain it moreso than other veggies. Beyond that, it could be given occasionally as long as you are feeding nutrient rich foods as well. Iceburg lettuce is considered to have zero food value but does help with hydration.

I've always fed lettuce and other greens to my birds thrown out on their ponds in addition to their prepared ration that is provided in feed pans. I guess there isnt a lot of nutritional value in regular lettuce but there seems to be something in it that is good for them.

I've always heard that iceberg doesn't have much nutritional value. I've been buying Romaine from BJ's wholesale club.....6 heads in a bag for $2.99. Pretty good considering the grocery store charges about that much for 1 head.

I'd like to know where the other poster heard that Spinach stops calcium absorption as I have fed my girls spinach occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom