Icelandic Chickens

I had the camera out yesterday. Here is a close-up of Audun's back.......I love the look of it........Have I mentioned how much I love this rooster?!
love.gif
Thanks again, Mary, for getting me started with these wonderful chickens!!!

Here is Fina and a cockerel hiding from the sun and the camera......

I was going to post more but these two took forever to load...........maybe later!
Audun is a handsome boy. How did you get that close up, certain lense, cropping ? It seems to clear for much cropping. There is a lot of red on the cockerel, Fina can hide a little better, I hope you get your connection speed back soon to post more photos.

I have an opportunity to get some icelantic chicks, but chances are I can't keep another rooster, should I leave em be?
Oh, that's your decision. But, with chicks comes cockerels, if the time isn't right for you, there will be more at another time.

No new pictures of Lukka and the babies yet Mary. I have some video but it takes so long to upload it to Vimeo that I just dread doing it.For example a 30 second video takes about eight hours to upload. I usually have to start it over several times as HughesNet goes in and out. I am having a T1 line installed at my house as we speak, so my internet troubles should clear up next week. I hope so! ATT did the wiring from the pole to the house today and on Tuesday the internal wiring will be done. I can't even imagine having good internet again after almost two years of HughesNet! Not paying for a token will be great when we use too much bandwidth. Can't wait to get the ugly pole and dish out of my driveway too! It will be easier to get the cars out of the garage and turned toward the road. LaVerne couldn't believe we're getting high speed internet.

Back to birds. Do you think I need Kelly to weigh in on the gender of the little white Icelandic on the back roost?
lau.gif

I went in to the sunroom a couple of days ago and found two turkeys roosting on the portion of the pole that is outside the brooder! It is wire covered with bird netting so I have no idea how they got out. One didn't want its picture taken so it hopped down.

can I have the fella on top??? what kind of goat is that?
No new pictures of Lukka and the babies yet Mary. I have some video but it takes so long to upload it to Vimeo that I just dread doing it.For example a 30 second video takes about eight hours to upload. I usually have to start it over several times as HughesNet goes in and out. I am having a T1 line installed at my house as we speak, so my internet troubles should clear up next week. I hope so! ATT did the wiring from the pole to the house today and on Tuesday the internal wiring will be done. I can't even imagine having good internet again after almost two years of HughesNet! Not paying for a token will be great when we use too much bandwidth. Can't wait to get the ugly pole and dish out of my driveway too! It will be easier to get the cars out of the garage and turned toward the road. LaVerne couldn't believe we're getting high speed internet.

Back to birds. Do you think I need Kelly to weigh in on the gender of the little white Icelandic on the back roost?
lau.gif

I went in to the sunroom a couple of days ago and found two turkeys roosting on the portion of the pole that is outside the brooder! It is wire covered with bird netting so I have no idea how they got out. One didn't want its picture taken so it hopped down.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting Icelandics, they are a wonderful treasure that are meant to be shared, but I do want to discourage anyone from crossbreeding them with other breeds. An Icelandic is only an Icelandic if it's genes remain pure. You can not cross them and call them Icelandic anymore. A Rhode Island Red is a Rhode Island Red because it has a particular shape, color, comb, leg color, etc. You might "out cross" or "cross breed" to a different breed to get a particular color gene and then breed the RIR back to a RIR and eventually, it will be a Rhode Island Red meeting the standard description. This is NOT the case with Icelandics. They are only an Icelandic if their genetic make up remains pure. I hope you'll take this into consideration when you make you decision. Which ever you decide....I hope you'll join us here!!
Seinna, The Other Mary

Amen, that's why I keep getting my DH to build more coop/runs. Each breed has to have their own run and then outside free time is alloted to one run at a time. Frankly, it throws me when a breed is crossed in and then back and "voila" you have your original breed back. I guess it's from so many years of showing dogs. The whole designer breed thing just irritates me, you can't make up a cutesy name and have a new breed. (hmmm, chickens are different, rhodebars, cambars, legbars). Anyway, I couldn't agree more when you are discussing a landrace breed. The whole point is they haven't had outside blood introduced. In my dart frog hobby, they are identified by locale of collection. A pumilio collected, same breed, same color, collected a mile apart are considered to have to keep them as a totally separate population.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom