Icelandic Chickens

Well, I'm super excited. I just picked up 5 Icelandic chicks. My husband and me have wanted this breed since before we ever had chickens, but hadn't gotten any because we wanted to make sure they were pure and that we were ready for them. The breeder picked out 5 wonderfully different chicks and we are quite simply in love. We're excited to watch them grow and feather out and feel lucky to have this breed!

I found an icelandic rooster and hen for sale. I am going to look at them later this week. I know it isn't a good idea to add just 1 hen to an existing flock, but hoping that 1 hen and 1 rooster will be ok.

Well, I'm super excited. I just picked up 5 Icelandic chicks. My husband and me have wanted this breed since before we ever had chickens, but hadn't gotten any because we wanted to make sure they were pure and that we were ready for them. The breeder picked out 5 wonderfully different chicks and we are quite simply in love. We're excited to watch them grow and feather out and feel lucky to have this breed!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Icelandic chickens! You are going to love them!

I found an icelandic rooster and hen for sale. I am going to look at them later this week. I know it isn't a good idea to add just 1 hen to an existing flock, but hoping that 1 hen and 1 rooster will be ok.
You should be okay introducing a pair. Will you be "quarantining" them?

Good afternoon fellow chicken lovers! I have 11 Icelandic eggs on day 14 under a good, broody, Buff Orpington mama
2764.png
These will be my first of this breed and I am very excited about them!
I'm looking for sexing tips. Are they similar to other breeds...for example, slow feathering are males? Or maybe feather sexing? I assume early wattles and large red combs on the males? I've had good luck with being able to spot the little cockerels in my previous hatches of other breeds, but I had the advantage of reading through a lot of tips on this website. I haven't been able to find much info on these! Can you help me know what to watch for?
Pretty much the same...wattles and comb size and color at four to six weeks old should tell the tale.
I haven't seen any "feathering tells" that are reliable among my flock.
Behavior of the chicks is a clue. Chicks that are "out front" of momma and quick to learn you are the treat giver are most likely male...chicks that are always hanging back and seek protection from momma first are most likely female.
Disclaimer: This is among my flock, your mileage may vary.
smile.png

Oscar my Icelandic hen has decided she wants to be broody too! Tried and succeeded taking away her eggs last night but not without a battle wound. Lol she bit my hand. If she's setting again today I might just let her go.unfortunately all I have is Icelandic mix eggs to go under her. If I would have known I would have saved a few more of her eggs. Oh well.
Hatching eggs that are mixed is not recommended if you are serious about preserving the breed.
You would be better to get some eggs that are from someone else that would like to have your hen hatch and raise them.

Hatching eggs that are mixed is not recommended if you are serious about preserving the breed.  
You would be better to get some eggs that are from someone else that would like to have your hen hatch and raise them. 
I looked at her nest when she was off it and she has two of her own pure eggs and two brown eggs I'll let her keep em I'm okay with a few mutts I already have one (EE icie mix). She's also kinda iffy with setting on the nest she was off it at noon when I went home for lunch but was back on it when I got home deff not wasting money on mail order eggs for first brood. My bantam Cochin is setting on 4 pure eggs due to hatch in two weeks and she's a serious setter.

What does everyone charge for chicks? Or what did you pay for your chicks? I'm thinking of building a breeding barn and need to choose the 5 breeds that would occupy the 3 spaces.

I am in Canada but the real breeders charge at least $10-$15 a chick for heritage lines.

I buy from colonies for $5-$7 a chick

If you have good pure lines you will be busy,
Good luck and have fun
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom