Icelandic Chickens

Well, hopefully someone here in Michigan is looking for icelandics then because my friend with them is not being helpful and this is the only pair I have. I think I am going to stick with my cochins.

I just went out to see that my icelandic pullet attacked my poor cockerel. She plucked all his feathers around his tail and took some of the skin off as well :( I don't know what happened, they have been fine together and they were acting fine when I found them. They are in a temporary quarantine pen but they have enough room :(
Are you sure the pullet did the damage? Could something have reached them inside their pen? I've never had any of my Icelandics feather pick. Are you feeding them feed with a good protein percentage?

Most of the pictures I took of Elska's chicks look like this.....blurs......all blurs....

They spent the day outside in a pen with mom and then I let them out when the rest of the flock had gone to roost. They were trying to keep-up with Elska and she was all about seeing what was new around the coop since she had be "out-of-commission" for the past three weeks!

Nope, had to be her. I have only had them for a week and they are on the same stuff as my other birds it is a mix. I think they are frustrated being in the quarantine pens because they are probably used to free ranging. I separated them and they are in quarantine for one more week

Yes, they love their free ranging! I think they do better on a diet of at least 20% protein when confined. The bugs and worms they get foraging would put them at a higher protein rate than what most commercial mixes have (12-16%), so she may be feather picking for more protein....or course, boredom could also be a cause for her behavior. Do you have a separate place for them away from your cochins once they are out of quarantine?

Icelandic chicks!!! Four so far. I will try to upload photos. The date stamp on our camera is messed up. These were taken today. They didn't turn out real well because of the bright light coming through the sallyport door, but hopefully you can see the chicks to the left. I hope this works - I have had problems with Tapatalk.

jaby5yte.jpg

qajapeny.jpg

wee.gif
Yay, Myrth! I'm glad to see Dreki and the girls are getting along well at your place! You will have to keep posting pictures so we can see them grow!!

Is there any way to ID a chick as Icelandic? I had everyone separated in the incubator, but I had some basket jumpers hatch while at work, so I'm stymied. The other chicks are mutts, and I want to make sure I can at least tell the icies as adults! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom