Icelandic Chickens

That was way too vague.  I'm gone from 7:30am to 5:00pm every day.  I must a plan well in advance to make sure most everyone has a good day including the chicks.  What I do is make sure that everyone is fed and watered before I leave.  Make sure the temps are right for the age of the chicks in the brooder.  At the end of the day check their butts as often as you can. If it's pasty clean it and continue with the probiotics as often as you can. 
I actually already do those things too.
1f609.png
1f609.png
1f609.png
I just noticed that the yogurt seemed to settle them down and help them feel better. These are the guys that came in from my broody, so I think their immune systems might have gotten a little compromised outside since they had such a hard start. I also feed cottage cheese to chicks I brood inside, but strangely, chicks under two weeks won't eat the chunks, so I decided to try yogurt to get some good bacteria into their guts. I like the water probiotics, but in yogurt, I KNOW there are live cultures, so I tend to go that route. Seems to have worked, although they want to step in the dish a bit and sometimes make yogurt covered wood chips! Lol!! They are doing MUCH better!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

That was way too vague. I'm gone from 7:30am to 5:00pm every day. I must a plan well in advance to make sure most everyone has a good day including the chicks. What I do is make sure that everyone is fed and watered before I leave. Make sure the temps are right for the age of the chicks in the brooder. At the end of the day check their butts as often as you can. If it's pasty clean it and continue with the probiotics as often as you can.
What kind of electrolytes and probiotics are you using? Thanks! :)

So, Red and Turkey, I've been having crying chicks too! I had one die as well. Not sure what is going on- it's like they have chick colic. It was driving me nuts, and I felt terrible and worried about more dying. I started feeding them plain yogurt and it settled them right down. They have been quiet, slept peacefully and been a lot happier (I'm assuming), plus, they look healthier and none of them have died that were previously crying. It's great! Maybe try it and see if it helps.

Sorry Kathleen. For some reason when you posted this reply I thought you were asking for advice rather than offering. I'm kinda slow that way sometimes. Disregard my rambling replies.
smile.png

Have all the older pullets and cockerels on the lower roost in the coop. Checked after 20 minutes and had one on the floor and the rest on the roost. Put her back. I'll check before I go to bed at 11pm. I'll be up at 4am to check again. Pics

Last edited:
Sorry Kathleen.  For some reason when you posted this reply I thought you were asking for advice rather than offering.  I'm kinda slow that way sometimes.  Disregard my rambling replies.:)   
Lol! You are fine, Turkey! Love the roost pic. I need to build some lower ones for my babies. Right now, they kind of crouch in the corners and perch on the roosts early but then get kicked off by adults. I need to have a better grow out plan for chicks, I'm discovering. By the way, I'm loving the white chick with the silver neck on the end! Very pretty!!!

I went out and checked and everyone made it through the night just fine. The 9 Icelandics are doing well. The supposed Buff Orpington chick that I bought at the feed store to keep the first staggered hatch chick company turned out to be a Red Ranger Broiler who started crowing yesterday. I was hoping it was a pullet and she could live out her life however long that would be laying some nice big brown eggs. He will need to go to freezer camp eventually. I'll let him have some quality of life free ranging first. Kathleen, the somewhat white one kind of reminds me of a seagull since I live on Lake Superior. If it's a cockerel should I name him Steven Seagull?...lol

Checking out the new feeder.

Pea hen checking out the new kids

Mr Roo (need a better name) going over the rules.

The Red Broiler got straightened out by the rooster and the older hens. Just a peck on the head from each. The rest fell right in line without so much as a peck. As I write this the pullets and cockerels are all in the coop with my old Buff Orpington. Haven't seen her this happy in a long time. She is down off the roost and hanging out with the kids. She had gone broody in the past and I think she likes having the young ones around. I let the rooster out with his other three hens to clear the yard of ticks and other tasty stuff.

Last edited:
@Turkeyrangler What a nice flock you have! Lots of variety!

Hola decided last week that she had enough of being a momma. Her two blonde chicks started hanging with Asta (she had a blonda and a chipmunk chick). She has taken them on as her own even after four weeks. Never had that happen before. Hola's third chick is a chipmunk and a pullet. She didn't even try to go to another hen. She was up in the rafters by herself. What a spunky little girl!! I let her be on her own for two days but was afraid something would happen to her (one of the few pullets I've gotten this year). Then Hæla decided she was done with her two New Hampshire chicks at 4 1/2 weeks so I put the three weaned chicks in a coop by themselves. I imagine the other hens will be weaning their chicks before too long and they will all go in together until they bond as a group. I'll let them out in the evening when the main flock has gone into the coop.
Heppni is sitting on 10 Lyle Behl eggs that I got the 19th via Kathleen. I'll be candling them tonight..........so much for downsizing.....
roll.png

I got a few of pics today.

Audun, five years old and as handsome as ever!

Anna and her three Icelandic chicks:

Cupcake and her two New Hampshire chicks:

Gula and her two New Hampshire chicks:

Back
Top Bottom