Icelandic Chickens

Thanks guys, I did sneak the chick back under Mom with the other one - knock on wood she fluffed back up and stayed put.  She's been on the other chick all day so I'm hoping this worked.  I'll let you know how it pans out in the morning.  I put a board up in front of where her nest is so the chicks can't get out for the night.  She can hop over it, but I figured at least for the night it was better than nothing.  I really think that first chick either got rolled out of the nest or it hatched and she got up and it just flopped it's way into the middle of the coop.  I had seen the pip an hour or so earlier...

Thanks, I do appreciate the feedback - it helps!!! :)
Good luck!!! I've sneaked chicks under broodys and it's worked out... Keeping fingers crossed for you!
263a.png
263a.png
263a.png

Diva- thanks for the ventriloquist idea. If my job as a teacher doesn't work out, I may just explore my options!!!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

GOSH i just found that a place called country hatchery in OK is selling Icelandic chicks , they have 150 for sale on july 7 th , i dont know if you guys know about this, but golly this is bad news for the purity of the Icelandic breed.
th.gif

GOSH   i just  found that a place called  country hatchery in  OK   is selling  Icelandic  chicks ,   they have  150   for sale  on  july 7 th , i dont know  if you guys  know  about this, but golly  this is  bad news  for the  purity of the Icelandic  breed.  :th
Nah, I think it will be okay. The Ussery article in Mother Earth News really stirred things up. I am one of those who read it and started keeping Icelandics, but I think eventually the status quo will be restored. The fervor over Icelandics will die down and those who are hardcore fans will remain. Sandhill Preservation has had them for a couple years now. Hopefully they go to people who want them for their utility. That's Sandhill's aim, and I agree- they were preserved for a LONG time for their hardiness and egg laying. It would be a shame to breed that out of them for the sake of crests or colors (although I still want a white hen! Lol). Hopefully people will keep them for their usefulness and not turn them into a froo-froo designer breed. I think that's what will happen when "Icelandic Fever" dies down- Icelandics will remain Icelandics.

I'm posting pictures of my older birds. Have 3 pullets for sure and 4 cockerels for sure. The jury is out on the other two. Leaning heavily towards both being cockerels. The only issue is lighter colored combs and waddles.

1. Pullet

2. Pullet

3. Pullet

4. Cockerel

5. Cockerel

6. Cockerel

7. cockerel

8. ????

9.???? Sorry, best picture I could get of him/her.

Almost forgot. Here's a picture of my seven three week old 2nd hatch. As you can see the dark chick and one of the chipmunks is very small but doing really well now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom