Icelandic Chickens

NAF we do not as of yet favor one over the other. I am at about page 509 of this thread, and with the insight gained thus far, we understand that they 'change' enough in colors and patterns that what they are now, apparently does not matter. We have been able to spot a few crests thus far and are excited to see and have these. The tuxedo looking one, that we named Ragnar, seems destined to rule the roost, and not look back.

I sometimes sit at the brooder and let the chicks get up on my arms, and sometimes shoulder. This morning the one on my shoulder, flew over to my work bench. Normally I would not expect this of a two week bird, but I have been fore warned about them being escape artists and so have been waiting for it. I do know they are both quick and hard to hold. I am glad to have them on shavings. We enjoy them immensely and do love that each of them is so different.

RJ

RJ, They do change dramatically through their first year....and at times, even after that. They get around better than any other breed I've had (not that I've had many breeds but I have hatched chicks from quite a few). I am amazed how different the chicks that Gula is raising for my friend (Ameraucana or Orp rooster x Orp and Java hens) are from my Icelandic chicks. When Gula is let out of the chicken tractor outside to take the chicks back to the coop at night, the chicks have a hard time getting over the board that is around the bottom of the small coop she stays in. I have a brick, about 3 inches high, laying by the doorway for the chicks to get up on and then it is only about 4 inches to the top of the board. These chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and have to struggle to get up on the brick and I use my foot to give a couple of them a "boost" to get up and over the board. When Jóka was in that coop, her Icelandic chicks were hopping straight to the top of the board at that age.
A couple of weeks ago when I took a short trip to visit my DD's family, my DH took care of the chickens.
th.gif
This doesn't happen often!! I told him to open the door to the "rabbit hutch turned broody duplex" for Heppni and the chicks to go out in the morning. I told him to leave it open and they would be in at lock-up and he should give them some scrambled eggs (which I had in small containers in the refrigerator for him) and mealworms before latching the door for the night.
"How will the chicks get up there?" he says. The "rabbit hutch turned broody duplex" is about 40 inches off the ground. "They'll fly up there" I say. "But they're too little" he says. "They're Icelandics. They'll fly up there." I say. When I called the first night, I asked, "How'd the chicks do getting in their coop?" He says "I watched them fly straight up. How do they do that?" I just looked at him and he says "They're Icelandics...right?" "Right!" I say
I think he's catching on.

I didn't get a chance for pictures after work today, since I had to finish the mowing I started yesterday. I did pick-up each of the new six chicks and take a look at them.
The chipmunk chick that Játa hatched is unlike any that have hatched here. Its facial markings are very unique.
The youngest chick is getting stronger and Járn is proving to be a very attentive momma.

Bedtime...seinna, vinur!

NAF, I am seeing that they seem to need less heat, along with great agility. When I open the brooder door and place my arms inside, the five or six that will jump up on me, they like to strain their necks and turn their head sideways. They are looking for an escape route. AND smart little things. They enjoy the mealworms the wife gives them and tiny worms from her garden. Some have been chest bumping and running while fluttering their little wings.

We just love them, I am grateful for this thread, whereas I was able to pick up on some of the traits before hand. I could stand a bunch of these around here. This picture, is on my used shavings burning this evening, but in the background is some of my free range area I have. I am excited to get these little ones outside with the big girls. But will enjoy them as is each and every day.

RJ

Last edited:
RJ, I am impressed with your reading of the thread. I read the first 50 pages or so & then jumped to the back and read the last 20 :)

As I said before, I am very new to chickens & didn't know what to expect too much but I was telling people about how great these chickens were supposed to be & all the different colors, etc. When mine hatched I had 2 yellow, 2 chipmunk, 2 brown (1 brown died), 1 yellow & black & 5 dark/black. My mom said they sure didn't look very colorful & now when everyone sees them all they talk about is how pretty they are. & now there are only 2 that even look similar. Just last week I noticed the yellow/black chick which is now black/white is starting to get red hackle feathers. I think he is the one I least like the looks of, but I have to admit I'm real curious what he is going to end up looking like. 1 of the many reasons I'm not in a big hurry to get rid of my roos.

In the middle pic they were 4 weeks old & we lost power on a 30 degree day & they were huddled keeping warm.

Last edited:
RJ, I am impressed with your reading of the thread. I read the first 50 pages or so & then jumped to the back and read the last 20
smile.png

As I said before, I am very new to chickens & didn't know what to expect too much but I was telling people about how great these chickens were supposed to be & all the different colors, etc. When mine hatched I had 2 yellow, 2 chipmunk, 2 brown (1 brown died), 1 yellow & black & 5 dark/black. My mom said they sure didn't look very colorful & now when everyone sees them all they talk about is how pretty they are. & now there are only 2 that even look similar. Just last week I noticed the yellow/black chick which is now black/white is starting to get red hackle feathers. I think he is the one I least like the looks of, but I have to admit I'm real curious what he is going to end up looking like. 1 of the many reasons I'm not in a big hurry to get rid of my roos.

In the middle pic they were 4 weeks old & we lost power on a 30 degree day & they were huddled keeping warm.

You will have a hard decision choosing from that group!! I see seven cockerels...is the dark one on the ground male or female?

Boy, you are good! The dark one on the ground is a solid black w bright red comb & wattle so yes, I think that is my 8th roo, however it is the smallest chicken (smaller than the hens). I wish you saw more hens in there than I did, but alas... I guess it is at least good to know someone agrees w me. My dad thinks a couple of them are maybes but I don't see it. The grey & black's comb is not as red as the others but it is huge so I am assuming it is also a roo.

Icies, I am loving that what I read is true, and I am holding on to mine until the color out, not grow out. It is so different to not know, what they will be, we are defiantly up to the task. It might take a while to get through the thread, but at some point I will. Thanks for sharing your pictures, I like seeing everyones birds.

RJ

I got some pictures after supper.
No way to get both of Járn's in the same picture without one being blurry. The blonde one was the last born and is doing great. You can still see the egg tooth on them.

Játa with her two:

Below are pictures of the unique facial markings of the chipmunk chick of Játa's above. The pic above was inside the coop and I used a flash. The pic below was in natural light. The chick has the longest "eyeliner extension" I've ever had and the X around the beak and upward is also new. The obvious lighter color at the crown set-off by the darker reddish behind is very cool! I like that it has a rose, or maybe even walnut, comb. I sure hope this is a pullet!!!

I thought Cupcake's two looked like twins when they were first hatched. You can see a difference between them now:

Past my bedtime........seinna, vinur!

These will be three weeks old on Monday next. They are sleeping in a pile and not under the yellow heat plate any more. I get the feeling they are hot. I am responding to the way act, but it is not like any batch I have ever raised prior. They are jumping with wings fluttering from the brooder pen to the top of my head, and either back or over to my work bench. They are also little pigs… but we are good with it all. We are loving and savoring the experience of these little wonders.

RJ

NAF love your pictures, your birds are very cute. These photos are of the Icelandic birds we got from RedIII. The top one is Autumn with Loki our rooster and the other picture is of Summer, the mother of them. Not pictured is Hippie Chick who has moved into the garage to sleep at night. Still flighty and wild as heck, but beginning to calm down some and starting to improve in her condition. I hope by fall to have her back in the fold… but we will have to see. These birds seem to have spirit.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom