Icelandic Chickens

Today was an exciting day in the yard.........I put the two separated cockerels out with everyone else this morning.
Before opening the doors, I took Elska and the severely molting SLW and put them into the "nursery/hospital" coop/corner with Brella (Ari/Asta hatched 6/3/11). She is there because as a young pullet, the randy boys caused an injury to her that made her limp. I separated her, she got better and I returned her to the flock. When Dreki got old enough to bother the girls, he would surprise the young pullets and she once again was limping, this time badly. I put her in the N/H corner the second week of November and she starting laying within a week. She lays 5-6 eggs a week. She was with the two youngsters of Kleo's that were both boys until they left. Now she has company again. I didn't want any of the three exposed to the four boys and their sorting out of the order of things so they will be "confined" to the N/H with it's separate, completely closed-in run.
The two "B" boys thought they could "gang-up" on Audun but he showed them otherwise. Bjarthur backed-down quickly, he was always the lowest on the pecking order in the Bach Pad. Boi was more persistent but Audun showed him whose flock it was. I kept an eye out all day and tonight everyone was up in the rafters. Dreki just left the area with his little group and didn't get involved. I chose today because I will be home three days in-a-row to keep an eye on things. Hopefully, they will all be one big happy family!

Here is a pic of Brella taken the end of September. She looks alot like Kella (hence the name) but without a crest and a bit more "orange" on her head.

44049_brella.jpg

Last edited:
Kathy, Brella wasn't the only one the boys would jump on without warning, but she was the only one that seems to have a lasting injury from them. Brat may be just fine after a time in the R&R. Keep an eye on her once you "release" her and see if you notice anything. I'm hoping that once Spring arrives, I'll be able to let Brella out and with a gentlemanly rooster, will be fine.......time will tell. She is one of only 5 of Ari's daughters that I have (rehomed 6 of them w/ AJ and the California boy from Mary). I can hardly wait until St. Patty's Day so I can join in the hatching fun!!!

Evening all! Wishing you each a Happy New Year!
Beautiful weather here today,I let the ices out for a brief run. They are so silly acting!Quiet a group of clowns. I've got eggs and no place to set them,anyone need some for the price of postage? They trace back to the Sheriffs line and look just like them!lol

The last thing to hatch in my old Farm Master were the shipped eggs last May/June. I used it to start some eggs that I transferred to the broody girls through the summer and hope to limit it's use this year to that chore. I want the broodies to do the majority of the work.......
lol.png
I know Chickie Mama will be ready to brood whenever I give her a nest to sit on but that will be St. Paddy's Day and NOT A DAY sooner!! I'm so glad Easter is two weeks earlier this year!!!

Back
Top Bottom