1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Icky fluid in bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by roamaround1970, Aug 5, 2014.

1. roamaround1970

roamaround1970 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Meadow Lakes, Alaska
    Meat Bird ? I was slaughtering some 10wk old Cornish today and had one with an abdomen full of yellow fluid. Her heart was small and the liver looked really congested. Any thoughts? We sent her along, since I didn't know the origin of the fluid.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cancer? Rotaviral Enteritis?

What do you mean by the liver looking congested?

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    CX are known for developing heart failure due to their rapid growth. This often results in fluid in the chest cavity. From others on this forum I have learned that fluid in the chest cavity does not make the meat unsafe to cook and eat.

Here's an article that might be useful: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...s_of_poultry/ascites_syndrome_in_poultry.html

(this one also explains why I have had pretty bad luck at raising CX at my altitude of 8,000ft)

The article does not cover whether the chicken is safe to eat, but I bet if you searched this site for similar topics you'd get some good advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by