I'd like to add to my little flock...can I do it one at a time?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksukristin, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ksukristin

ksukristin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Hey I was hoping to get some advice from y'all- I currently have two lovely BO gals and I want to get 1-2 more birds. If I'm getting chicks, should I get 2 at a time, or is it possible to just get one? I know it will need to be raised separately from the adult birds until they are ready to be properly introduced...but if I just get one will she be lonely? (I'm currently raising a single quail and I put a stuffed animal in the brooder so he/she wouldn't feel alone...and he/she always cuddles with the stuffed animal! it's adorable but also sad...)

I'm of course, leaning towards two, but I can just see my DB/F's face now when he sees that I have more birds!

any experience/stories/advice would be greatly appreciated-

Thanks!

2. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    my opinion is to get at least two... they get lonely

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    From what I've read here, if you only get 1, then when you integrate it with the older ones, they will gang up on the little one. It's best to have more than 1 so the abuse is spread out as they try to find their spot in the pecking order. So it's not just focused on 1 bird.

4. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I agree with new2chooks. It will be easier to introduce them to the flock if there are two.

Also I bought 2 one day old chicks last year. One drown in his water the first night. The other one was chirping so much; it was awful [​IMG] and I ended up bying 6 more!

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    After adding to my flock over the spring and summer, I would definitely do it in groups of two or more. I did and all my girls have at least one girlfriend to hang out with. [​IMG]

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    also, if you are buying any birds you will need to put them in a thirty day isolation to prevent spread of illness. Having at least two in the isolation will make them happier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by