Idaho?

sickbyc.gif

so my sis (Mo5C) and I just finished our first bumblefoot surgeries. 2 of my adopted hens - so glad I found the "how to" in the threads! Each procedure was a bit different in appearance, technique and length of time but I think everything went smoothly. Gonna give them a couple of days then take a peek and see if their feet are healing as expected.
fl.gif
(Really grossed out my kids. guess real blood and goobers are quite different than digital video game stuff. LOL)

I now have a first-aid bucket for my flock, hopefully we won't have to use it too often.

If anyone is in the Canyon County area, head over to Steve Regan's farm supply store. They had the Iodine solution, coflex vet wrap (both cheaper than D&B!) and exam gloves, also saw 18% protein laying pellets & crumble. I'm gonna have to go back when I have more time and really browse through! I was surprised that dunlap hatchery did NOT carry these items.....

How do you think they got bumblefoot?? I've read that you really have to do some digging to get the "core" of the infection out... is that what you ended up doing??

How do you think they got bumblefoot?? I've read that you really have to do some digging to get the "core" of the infection out... is that what you ended up doing??

Bumblefoot is a staph infection in their foot. if you have ever had a boil then you understand the basic idea
sickbyc.gif
. staph bacteria is everywhere - it enters through an injury/wound on their foot. the fact that they walk around in their poop adds to the problem. their old coop was tiny and not well ventilated. I believe it was a HUGE factor because it never really dried out.

I noticed their feet were oddly shaped - took me awhile to figure out what it was. found a great step-by-step guide here in the threads.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

the first hen had a big lump on the top of her foot, inbetween the toes. I had to cut a cross in the top of the bump and push/squeeze really hard for the hard chunk to be expelled. Also worked on the bottom of the foot to make sure there wasn't a core there. The second hen had a swollen pad with the scab. we cut the scab out (small core attached) and it took quite a while to dig out the rest (cottage cheese type matter). Some one else made the comment that her hens tolerated the surgery on infected areas but flinched quite a bit when she worked into healthy tissue. I found that to be true as well. I was really surprised about how calm they were overall.

Just checked on them today and they are walking & behaving just fine (in little purple boots,
gig.gif
)

My only advice is that with the coflex vet wrap it can irritate the tissue of the feet over time so just keep an eye out. I had a hen that had the beginnings of bumble foot but I think I must have caught it in time. I soaked her foot once a day for about 15 minutes in a warm bath with Epsom salt. After about two weeks of soaking the scab fell off on its own and I kept it wrapped until the hole was healed up, of course this was during the summer when it was warm and dry out. After seeing the skin tissue on the foot a little irritated between the toes from the vet wrap, I invested in a pair of neoprene chicken booties with velcro on them, I haven't had to use them yet.

I have two black copper marans chicks available out of this week's hatch. I can't add them to my next assorted order because my orpingtons aren't laying yet, the lazy bums. LOL Anyway, these chicks are out of my B-2 BCM pen which is my show potential line. Egg color is very nice as well.

Only having two left over is a hard sell for anyone driving any great distance this time of year. If nobody wants them I'll just put them in my grow-out brooder and hope for pullets.
smile.png

I am so limited on current coop space I have to wait for to see what is happening with the Black Tailed Buff project before I even think about any other birds. I am seriously going to have to look into a second coop. We have the area for another one, just need to locate a deal like we got on the first coop.

I have some really nice black tail buff chicks in one of my grow out pens. Spot on for plumage/shank color and feathered shanks. So far so good! I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have sports with my other BTB line, though. I haven't hatched any from that group yet. I only have so many insulated grow-out pens to work with this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom