Idaho?

Pics
3 RIR pullets. Idaho Falls!
smile.png

Hmm, I don't know how to post a pic on here. ???

Added 12 hens to the flock, one died within 24 hrs.
sad.png
the 11 remaining are still in temp housing until Aug 1st as I injected them with Neobicide wormer to rid them of all the horrible things they had that I didn't know they had when I bought them! Grrr

Thankfully, batch 1 is healthy and doing well. I'm getting about 6 eggs a day from the 13 healthy ones and really thought I would get more. They have plenty of fresh water so don't know. Getting the same amount from the unhealthy flock, finally. They didn't produce for 10 days!

Anyway, doing well, surviving the heat and glad it's not 100!

Joy

I'm in Meridian, Idaho...14 full size assorted hens, 1 tiny banty rooster and so far this year 3 month old babies, 2 week old babies and one of my black austrolorps is sitting on 8 eggs...right now I have too many egg customers and not enough eggs, especially since 3 of my hens arent laying.
hmm.png

Buhl, ID....17 mi west of Twin Falls.

Was stationed for 7 yrs at Mtn Home AFB, living in town. Got out in '88 and went to driving long haul for May Trucking and Freight Systems (closed after owner died) for a short while. My husband was put on my truck as it was strictly a team operation. We got along, got married and then he decided he wanted to be a ranch hand again. Those were not happy years as ranch jobs had changed over the 15 yrs my husband was away being a beef boner in TF. We made 6 moves in 2 yrs of marriage. At the one job where we lived for 3.5 yrs, I got some hens & that made life more interesting. Unfortunately, coons got most of them. We got 32 coons in 3 weeks, built a more secure coop and I found chicken hatcheries.
big_smile.png
Ordered 25 mixed heavies from Murray McMurray and have loved having chickens!
jumpy.gif

Then in Aug 1996, my husband became Traumatic Brain Injured from 2 accidents about 45 hrs apart. He was 56 and could no longer work. We also had to move from the ranch, so all my chickens were given away. About 5 yrs ago, I was given a barred rock hen that loved coming on our porch & by the door, lay an egg. She died from old age. In Nov 08, we moved from s.e. Montana because his TBI docs were 270 miles away and our VA (both of us are Veterans) was 150 miles...with 55 of that being gumbo dirt roads! I had wanted to move to Mtn Home again, but it had become a bedroom community of Boise. We looked at 15 places between Jerome and Mtn Home and then down the south side of the River, ending up in Buhl. It's pretty down here and my goats just laugh when anyone says it's cold....we regularly had -25 to -35F weather in the many months of winter in s.e. MT.

I raise registered Saanen Dairy goats, having my permit to sell unpasteurized (raw) milk & products. Last year I got 10 pullets from the Twin Falls D & B store. When I told my hay guy that I was going to show my goats in the TF county fair, he suggested I show my chickens. So I entered 1 lt Brahma, BR and BO. All 3 pullets took first, with the Lt Brahma beating 9 others in the class!
big_smile.png
Not bad for a free range chicken! Then a friend in Boise gave me some more along with a blue/white top Crested rooster. In Mar, I went to a seminar at D & B put on by a feed company (Nutrena maybe?) and came home with 12 more chicks.
wink.png
I'm not as good at guessing week old straight run chicks as I am day old ones and have 4 roos to go into the freezer (might keep one and get rid of the fuzzy headed guy). The crested is fertile and has sired 6 chicks from my gals. Some of the eggs had chicks that didn't progress very far....but that's okay as I have a total of 32 now! That's the first time I've ever had hens go broody, set and hatch chicks. I would like to do some more next year.
IDLaura

Small world Laura! I remember May Trucking and Marvin May! I drove dump truck from 1988 -2003...I worked for Boise Paving & Asphalt for most of that, the last 3 years I owned and drove my own truck.
I really like being home full time now and taking care of my little flock of chickens and my 2 horses. My husband works natural gas pipeline so I do most of the home, yard, garden and animal stuff. We live in Meridian...well, a couple miles out is all...close enough but not in the middle of town! lol;)

Quote:
I'm guessing Barred rock, golden sex link and a WC blue polish. That's going to be a fun bunch to watch.
smile.png
I had a polish just like her, she was a sweet bird!

That's what they said they were in What Gender and Breed forum so I'm guessing that is what they are
smile.png
I knew I had a polish, just thought it was WC black, and a sex link but wasn't sure which one and the Barred Rock was easy. So far the polish is the most skitish and takes everything from the other two even though it's the smallest
lol.png

I have a black polish just like yours only mine is about a year old. I also have 4 golden sex links, they are the sweetest things and very friendly. My polish hen is really skittish too...she was worse until I trimmed her feathers over her eyes and now that she can see she isnt as skittish. I do think they are a more nervous and active bird than some of the other breeds, I do have a white leghorn hen that is pretty skittish, too. The polish hen was so funny after I trimmed her feathers so she could see....she would stick her neck out and loooook and then stick her neck the other way and looooook...it was hilarious and you could tell she really enjoyed being able to see!

frow.gif
Hi all, from Sagle here. Got my first batch of chicks from Carter country, think one of my RIR is really a production red:( and a lovely rooster
he.gif
they are 6 weeks old now, 2 RIR, 2 Dark RIR and 2 new hampshire.
Anyone looking for a RIR rooser? Hopefully to a good home? Sure hate to give him up but can't keep him.
hit.gif

Which place is better for chicks, Carter Country or Co-op?

I've bought from both carter and Co-op. I've spent a lot of time in co-op and the people are nice there. Id say they are about the same except I think co-op gets more varieties and has better prices on food and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom