Idea for a safe run

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
This is the idea my husband and I came up with for a predator prrof run using 2x4 wire and 1' chicken wire..........At each corner there will be a 4x4 treated post that will be wrapped 2ft up from the bottom with plastic and then concreted in the ground 2 feet deep. O.k. On the outside of the 4x4 post we will run the 2x4 wire fencing and to the inside we will run the 1" chicken wire. Here is a diagram using the keyboard keys. Hope this helps.........

1----1-----------------
1 1
1----1-----------------
- -
- -
- -
- -
- -

This way you have 4" in between the outside fence and the inside fence. This will make it hard for any predators to reach through and grab any chicks.

Are you running the inside wire all the way to the top, or the outside? I couldn't tell you how many times i've pulled chickens out of situations that they've got themselves stuck in, and if they could get between the two fences they probably would.

We are going to run the wire to the top. We are also going to cover the top with chicken wire so nothing can fly or jump in. This way none of the birds can get between. We are also going to bury the fence in a concrete barrier around the perimeter.

Very clever!!
wink.png

Carla

Great idea! A good offense is the best defense.

Be sure to paint it with bright colors. With all the barbed wire, concrete and fencing, it might look a little like Folsom Prison.
wink.png

I don't think we are going to add any barrbed wire or razor wire. We have other pets and we don't want them to be getting hurt. But we have considered adding a hot wire around the perimeter about 4 inches off the ground and it'll just be turned on at night or while we're gone.

Thanks for all the positive post. We were hoping that this was a good idea.

Xtradust it will have white vinyl siding on it with a shingle roof. It's funny you said prison because I think the Barred Rocks and Dominiques look like jail birds.
lau.gif

That would be fuuny tohave a setup like that.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom