Idea for cheap small portable chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenRMe, May 21, 2012.

1. ChickenRMe

ChickenRMe In the Brooder

May 21, 2012
    Hey folks! one of the first coops I built I used an old cart like this [​IMG]

I bought mine at a yard sale for 10$ build 2 boxes on the top, 2 on the middle, and 2 on the bottom, then a few boards for a walk to the top and middle. Total Cost was about 20$ I ended up building another one since we had 14 chickens. to move it all I gota do is move the walk boards and roll it wherever I need it to go. I built the 2 boxes on each level on a piece of wood, so I can lift the boxes of the cart if needed.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    PVC pipe, wire and wheels (if you want them), but I find it's light enough to move without wheels.

3. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    ChickenRMe I've been wondering if a cart would work as a tractor. Do you have pics of yours?

4. ChickenRMe

ChickenRMe In the Brooder

May 21, 2012
    I dont anymore actually, we upgraded, and have a wire run with a coop at the end about 3 feet off the ground. The cart I used had 1 top,middle, and bottom shelf. Seems more to me, like you would need a cart with just a bottom shelf.

Edit add on: you could always build around the cart

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  5. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    That is exactly how I envisioned it.

6. jasonmerritt

jasonmerritt In the Brooder

May 23, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Love to see some photos.

7. Chickenhill

Chickenhill Songster

May 2, 2012
    Middleton Idaho
    Great idea. Always endless possibilities!

8. [​IMG]

Not the finished product but I wound up putting a full door on top with wire and a piece of PVC corrogated roofing I had...for me total cost was only the wood - about 12$ I had everything else on hand...its 8' X 3' X 2 high - if you put wood on the sides for a house, and made it slant slightly for the roof that could open and close - would make a great simple coop house

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: