Idea for dealing with political & armageddon threads

Quote:
*snork* omg you made me choke on my doritoes!!

This site is getting dangerous to my eating habits LOL
gig.gif

Quote:
I'm a slow CANADIAN, but I checked the rules & can't find where it says POLITICAL THREADS are against the rules.

I see PETA & COCKFIGHTING threads are NOT allowed, but can't find find politics mentioned.

Quote:
The Freedom of Information act means that all tattletaleismry on public access information systems (such as this forum conveyed to you on a series of tubes) is in the public domain, therefore as American citizens, citizens of the greatest democracy in the Universe, we have the birthright to know.

Back me up, Bluey!

Sorry, I was fully prepared to back you up girl but got sidetrcked thinking about Hennypennies2007's Victoria Secret T and A comment.... it's a wonder men can ever keep the train of thought on track...
lau.gif

Yeah...what BeardedChick said!!! I think I have a new favorite word "tatteletailismry"...thanks BC!!!!!

....okay I freely admit I'm no lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few months ago!!!
bun.gif

Nifty has left the building! Now, there's a wise man!
wee.gif
(nifty)

Although now I'm wondering about this JennsPeeps character, BYC's resident "Pooexpert".
She conveniently provided Nifty with an escape hatch, so I'm guessing she's high on the list!
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm a slow CANADIAN, but I checked the rules & can't find where it says POLITICAL THREADS are against the rules.

I see PETA & COCKFIGHTING threads are NOT allowed, but can't find find politics mentioned.

You know, we do allow most topics as long as they are civil. We close them when the content, not the subject goes against what we work to maintain here. I think to be fair we have been tolerant in that. Threads normally don't get closed unless we get reports or one of us comes across a thread so blatantly obnoxious that it screams "Close Me".

As far as what is against the rules,

Quote:
I would say most political threads and other current events, hot topics etc are closed because of the above.

And most relevent to LCRT's comments (and my personal favorite)

* It is at our sole discretion to pre-screen, refuse or remove any users or content from the site.

lol.png

i'm still an 'egg' around here (thought i was a hatchling as a newbie, but nope, still an egg LOL) when i saw this thread, i went through it wondering what was being discussed.

i've belonged to several forums, and i moderate at one of them. only one of those forums allowed politics to be discussed, and at that forum, it got harsh, fast. the other forums actually have rules against discussing such personal and volatile subjects as religion or politics. i think it's b/c eventually, it boils down to: "who's right and who's wrong" and that's not an argument that can be won, in my opinion. it can, however, get really ugly, really, really fast.

as a mod, i've heard the 'freedom of speech' thing, but i think someone in this thread has already mentioned that this is a privately owned forum, and as such, the only freedom of speech is that granted to us by the owner. as a mod, i've equated it to being invited into a person's home and then launching into a topic that the owner finds personally offensive. i doubt i'll be allowed to stay.

anyways, those are my two cents. *checks pockets* yikes, i've used up all my change!

*heads out to rootle among the couch cushions for loose change*

Quote:
BYC was my unwind time for ages, so I understand. I said "was" ... because some where along the way I became a moderator.

Considering the trend of late any threads dealing with politics, religion or other hot buttons will likely be short lived because they go over the top before they hit the end of page one and thus the moderators are becoming more proactive with them.

cmcgoun Are you suggesting we should give those that can't remember the rules here a more serious reminder?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Did you ever notice that those who use the freedom of speech thing the most and scream it the loudest are those who go out of their way to create the most negative drama on the forum you moderate?

Back
Top Bottom