Idea for nesting boxes...

XL506

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
I was thinking about ideas for nesting areas. I was thinking about getting some rubbermade tubs ( about 1ft deep by 1.5ft high with a lid. and cutting a " door " in the tub so they can go in, feel secure and lay. And then I can go in, pop the lid off the tubs, get the eggs, put the lid back on and repeat. Plus the plastic would be easy to clean. What do you think?

I think it is a good idea, but maybe not for a broody hen, it may be too humid in one of those boxes, well maybe if you live where I live.
lol.png

I don't know if you have a Dollar General near you but we have one way out here in the boonies and they have the greatest little bins that I may buy one day. Might could get them at Wally World, too.
It has 4 little legs, 3 fairly high sides that have air slots and the front has a tipped out lip on it. You can even stack them but it looks a bit too low of top for me to try that but I thought a small board over it might work.
Someone else on here was using that and their chicken liked it. My Jersey Giants would not fit but hers was a Buff Orp and was raising chicks in it without a top.
jumpy.gif

Still easy to clean. And my Cochins don't like any nest boxes up off the ground so I may get a few. Better and easier than the wood I use now.

Ive got a Dollar General right around the corner.. next to it a Family Dollar and down the road a walmart and kmart so I think I will find something somewhere lol. Ill keep you posted on how this works

Lemme tell you what I did. If you are interested, I can post pics later. (I'm at work now)

Got two of the plastic bins with lids. Pretty big ones, but I can't remember how many gallons. You could easily fit three or four full grown chickens in one. Of course, the chickens only use them one at a time.

I (meaning my husband) drilled a small hole in the bottom of each bin. I got two five gallon buckets, turned them upside down and drilled a matching hole in the center of the bucket bottom. Using a bolt and nut, we attached the bins to the buckets to keep the bins raised up off the ground.

Positioned the bins up against the chicken run, on the outside. Went inside the chicken run and cut some holes in the weld-wire that corresponded to where the holes in the bins were. But the fence holes were a little smaller. I pushed the excess wire into the inside of the bin to hold the bins in place while I attached them.

Hubby drilled some tiny holes around the hole in the bin so that I could use this thin, flexible galvanized wire that we have to actually kind of sew the bin to the wire on the chicken run.

So now, all I have to do is walk around to the back of the chicken run and lift up the lids and get the eggs without ever going inside. (not that I mind going inside, but it's a lot easier for me if I don't have to.)

I did end up getting some of those shortest length bungy cords with the hooks on each end. I strap one across each lid to keep it from popping off. Even though the lids snap on, it occured to me that a chicken fight on the inside of the bin or something bumping into the outside of the bin migh make one pop off unintentionally.

It's worked out GREAT! The chickens love it. I figure I will have to replace the bins every year or two because they absolutely will deteriorate in the sun. I know from experience that plastic gets brittle as it weathers. But they are not very expensive. I think $8 each.

Cassandra

I was super lazy. I bought one of those small rolling TV stands with two shelves on it at a second-hand store, slapped a 1x2 across the bottom of each shelf to keep the straw in and lifted it up, screwing it directly to the wall. it was super easy to do and only cost me $10. I am not a master builder, so simplicity was essential. Still, I wish I could have figured out a way to access the eggs from outside.

Here they are. First pic from inside the run.

I put a cedar limb in front of the boxes for the hens to use as a perch.

bins1.jpg

Second pic is from the outside. You can see the buckets underneath and the bungie cords on top, holding the lids down.

bins2.jpg

Third pic shows my view as I'm gathering eggs. (I do try to keep more straw in there. They just kick it out and prefer the bin with less straw. They all use the same one.
hmm.png
) You can see where the wire is folded into the bin. And I put in a little stick for them to stand on when they are getting in and out.

bins3.jpg

Last pic, I moved the straw out of the way. I guess we ran out of nuts & bolts.
smile.png
Looks like John used four screws to attach the bin to the bucket underneath.

bins4.jpg

Cassandra

Cassandra I Love your beautiful wooded coup.
smile.png
My favorite is unpainted to have woodgrain show. & you have wonderful 'natural' roosts. But even tho your nestboxes are a creative idea to get the eggs....it'd never work in my neck of the "woods".
wink.png
Our acres butt up against other primarily untouched acres & predators aren't few. Your coup pen is also beautiful & well made. But the 1x2 primary wire on your pen surround would never do for the abundance of predators here. & I've had wooden edges chewed or torn from predators so the rubbermaid bins wouldn't stand a chance for keeping my chickens let alone eggs safe. I'd find them twisted from the fence and open in an evening. We even keep traps set to keep predators at bay. But if your area is secure from aggressive predators & it works for you, then you're set
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom