Idea needed: Block bottom of coop

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
We built this coop and I love the fact that my flock can get under it for Dust baths and to just get out of the sun and sleep during the day...and from light rain...
wink.png
big_smile.png

BUT....when it rains hard, down pours..flooding...they tend to run under there instead of inside the coop!!! They are truly not smart...I once laid in deep water, trying to catch them to put them in the coop. Ive blocked it real quick with boards one day so they didnt go under but was a hassel.
sad.png

They of course stayed out in the rain...standing in it...down pours..
roll.png
roll.png

Today is severe storms, and down pours..its the start for 4 days. Now Im thinking how do I block this bottom area to make catching easier...and keep them from under so they dont drown?

36033_perches.jpg

36033_dsc_0422.jpg

Wish I had better pictures for u to see....

Ive put temp. chicken wire and boards...but I want to make something permanet that I can bring out and put out...ideas???

also I was thinking...you see the front door on the coop...I want them to stay in once I put them in without having to close the door and make them stay shut in...this way they can look out...was thinking a framed board with wire that I can bring out and anchor on the front door??

Perhaps you could make a hinged panel(s), of wire mesh or lattice in a 2x4 frame, that you could swing down on days when rain is expected, but leave latched open the rest of the time?

You might also think about why they do not want to go into the coop. If it had quite a lot more ventilation it would probably be much more appealing to them, also that would solve your 'wanting to shut them in but still let them see out' problem. You could cut quite large holes in the siding on 2 or 3 sides (cover with sturdy wire mesh), save the stuff you cut out to make panels that hinge or bolt on when you want to close things up due to weather. If rain coming in the openings is a problem, a little 'porch rooflet' over each opening will solve the problem, or there are other solutions like louvers or shadecloth (shadecloth, installed vertically, keeps a fair fraction of the rain out).

And/or, you could provide them something ELSE to get under when it rains -- for instance a sort of low table arrangement in the run, that they could go over or under as they choose.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Pat, they do have Ventilation!!! lol...all across the front of the coop where they Roost and Love...the side doors also open but thats where the nest boxes are

Your thinking they want MORE??? GREEDY!!!
lol.png

36033_egg_door.jpg

36033_dsc_0398.jpg

I know NOTHING about carpentry...DH does it all...but gone two days...so after this post we had a lull in the rain, I ran out, felt bad they were stuck in the coop...and I put some boards together and put some chicken wire inbetween the boards..
tongue.png
lol.png
that you cant see!!! Measure wrong...but I did manage to cover it up for now until DH can do something...
36033_coop_bottom.jpg

let them out...but once it rains even with the door open...TO THE COOP THEY WILL "NOT" GO INTO IT...WHEN IT RAINS I DONT ALWAYS LOCK THEM UP UNLESS ITS HEAVY HEAVY STORMS...SO DONT KNOW WHY THEY WONT GO IN.

Told DH I waned more openings ...permanet in the coop maybe to the back of it like the front and its nope...ur so stuck on that ventilation part...not changing a thing.

Last edited:
Maybe DH could cover the run?? I covered my coop with these transparent smokey gray panels that let the light in but still shelter the birds from rain. Now all the rain we've been having the last week, they do have puddles on the ground but they don't get rained down on anyway.

I like the idea of framed and hinged panels of wire or lattice too to block the underside of the coop. good luck in finding what works.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom