Ideal Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by g&h farm, Feb 6, 2011.

1. g&h farm

g&h farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    Brooksville, Fl
    Im just curious, does anybody have Ameraucanas from Ideal Poultry? My local feed store has some and they are so stinking cute. I know many of you out there are against anything from a feed store or hatchery but what I want to know is if anybody actually has any and are they actually Ameraucanas or are they E.E.s. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They're EEs, but it doesn't really matter as long as they're just for pets/eggs.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

The only reason I would be against hatchery/feedstore (both the same) is that their breeding is careless to the point of useless or dead heans by 4 years old, their housing of the parent stock is unknown and quite suspicious, and their lies are endless.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Definately EE's. Yes they are stinking cute but pity they have short lives because of egg production genes.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have a roo that came from a feed store, and I think he's lovely-----of course, I can't keep him, as I have too many roos right now. Here he is, wish I had a better pic. on here.
    [​IMG]

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Yes! I bought six Ideal "Ameraucanas" last October. I wanted to brighten my egg basket this spring. Of the six, five were cockerals, one developed crossbeak and didn't make it (RIP Woodsey.) The one pullet (Barbie) was beautiful but taken by a raccoon at 12 weeks as was another cockeral named Elton John. There are three roos left now. D'Artagnon, Johnny Bravo, and Rojo. They have some good qualities, but are diffinately EE and not Ameraucanas. They are friendly and comical and are the craziest colors you can imagine! I wish I knew what color eggs Barbie would have layed. My feed store is getting in an order of "Ameraucana pullets" - we'll see, I'm getting 12! LOL!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have seen numerous shipments of Ideal's Easter Eggers. No, they're not Ameraucanas, but they're real cuties! I do not own any of their EEs, but I've had so many hens from that hatchery develop egg peritonitis/internal laying just after they turned two years old, I won't be buying any standard breed birds from there again, barring some weird circumstance. Some do lay brown eggs, so be aware of that. Most folks get these for blue or green eggs, but you could be disappointed when they start to lay. It's really a crap shoot with EEs.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two EEs from Ideal. Nice birds, pretty and good layers. The one lays a green egg, the other a greenish blue egg.

I also have 13 LF brahmas from Ideal that are nearly three years old. In three years I have lost one to a heart attack (during a very hot month) and one to a hawk. One has suffered some sort of laying issue, but she's healthy otherwise. The rest are so healthy it's amazing.

9. Momto3boys

Momto3boys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Cassville, NY
    I just ordered some ameraucanas from Ideal myself, are they ALL yellow? From the pic of the ameraucana chicks on the website, they should be a mix of yellow, grayish, & brown....Never hurts to take a chance though!!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My easter eggers looked like little chipmunks as chicks. Now one is brown speckled with a black head. The other is gold speckled with a shiny gold head.
    I now have a very special chick that is from one of my EEs eggs. He/she is feathering out a very nice, will be light buff in color. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by