Ideal--August...really?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Day Old ChicK, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Day Old ChicK

Day Old ChicK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Vicksburg, MS
    I tried to order Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and Light Brahmas today on the Ideal website and they gave me an August ship date. Is that right?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you dont want to wait that long, you can even hatch out some Orps and the breeds you are looking at.

3. Day Old ChicK

Feb 17, 2009
    Vicksburg, MS
    That sounds like a time intensive and equipment intensive endeavor. Is it easier than it sounds?

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    probably about 4 weeks and $100... However, hatching becomes addictive, so you never know what the final bill will really be [​IMG]
    I would guess that if you eliminated the Buff Brahamas from the order you would get them MUCH sooner.
    Cheers!
    Christina

5. Day Old ChicK

Feb 17, 2009
    Vicksburg, MS
    I tried that, but it was the same date for all of them.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    hey day old, I'm only about 2 hrs from you, I got a hatcher! and I'm already addicted!

7. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You might try some other hatcheries. Mt. Healthy is in Ohio -- they are showing shipping dates one week out. Not sure about McMurray. Those are the only two other than mypetchicken that I can think of.

8. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    You might want to call them and ask which chicks are the hold up. We were going to get some buff silkies and others from McMurray and they told us July until I changed to black silkies. Now our complete order will be here March 29th. The hold up for the whole order was the buffs and we only had three out of twenty five chicks that were buff silkies.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yeah, have you checked other hatcheries? Any reason you wanted to go with them in particular?

10. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Welp hatchery still has lots of chickies available. I just got lots of new babies from them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by