Ideal Feathers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MaranDude, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    I have a cousin who wants to get chickens to sell their feathers, which also lay eggs and they can use for meat at the end. Does anyone have any good breeds that match this description?

Is their such thing as different qaulity in chickens feathers?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Can you further describe "sell their feathers?"

I'm sure you could sell feathers from almost anybreed. If you went with a white breed, you could always dye the feathers whatever color you want. I think in this case I would go with something like a White Rock or a Wyandotte or even a Delaware. All are larger sized, white birds with good sized eggs.

-Kim

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I believe when you sell feathers you have to kill the bird first

partridge Wyandottes are good for feathers,
    also silver Wyandottes
    partridge Rocks and silver pencilled Rocks

4. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I think maybe a mixed flock would work for that. I have so many pretty feathers from mine. I am picking them up and sending them to friends who make jewelry from them and adorn Indian things with them. I haven't had them too long but I have a lot of feathers everyday on the ground and in the house to pick up. I am sure when they molt they will give more too.

5. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Barred Plymouth rocks.

6. Lostdog

Lostdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    I would research fly fishing and fly tying to get some ideas on which would be best.

Edit to add:people will also buy feathers for crafts but I think you could make the most money by selling to fly tyers-say that 3X's fast.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by