Ideal hatchery and breeds

@Loopeend Great posts and advice.

I don't have a problem with mutts. I have 2 dogs who are mutts and they are healthy, happy, and great companions. They are irreplaceable parts of our family. That being said, if I do want a healthy runner duck, I need to commit to a higher price point. Ideal's prices were attractive. Good breeding practices are not cheap however, if the hatchery is keeping careful track like you describe.

I wanted the Runner breed due to production. Maybe Ideal crosses their birds for health and production reasons. Maybe by accident. If the former, I probably will be ok and have ducks that will give me plenty of eggs. When calculating birds and eggs, I was hoping for 4 eggs per day.

If they are a Cayuga cross, I'd say congrats! I started with fawn and white runners and Cayugas. My Cayugas are MUCH better layers. I know that runners are supposed to be top notch, and I'm sure I likely have an anomaly, but my runner hen hasn't laid in years. She is noisy, skittish, and useless. I love her anyways.
My Cayugas are skittish too, but man, are they ever great layers. This is their fifth year, and they still lay. Not as many eggs, for sure, but they more than earn their keep in bug patrol, winter garden weeding, and eggs.

It is interesting that you say that about your Cayuga production. How many eggs do you think you get from 1 duck annually? From what I could find to read, they supposedly have about half the expected eggs compared to a runner.

I also wonder if some hatcheries are breeding their runners more for look vs overall health/look/production. @Loopeend kind of like how you were describing your long legged runner. Maybe some of these hatcheries have subpar breeding practices focusing on the look of the bird. On the duck breed description for runners, some websites are quoting a much lower egg count than I would expect, like 150-200. That seems low. So maybe they are breeding for the look of the bird, production be damned?

I don't have a problem with mutts. I have 2 dogs who are mutts and they are healthy, happy, and great companions. They are irreplaceable parts of our family. That being said, if I do want a healthy runner duck, I need to commit to a higher price point. Ideal's prices were attractive. Good breeding practices are not cheap however, if the hatchery is keeping careful track like you describe.

I wanted the Runner breed due to production. Maybe Ideal crosses their birds for health and production reasons. Maybe by accident. If the former, I probably will be ok and have ducks that will give me plenty of eggs. When calculating birds and eggs, I was hoping for 4 eggs per day.
If egg production only is your primary focus, the Runner should not be your primary duck choice. Runners tend to not care where they lay their eggs and they will definitely stop laying when the days become shorter. The Golden 300 and the White Layer from Metzer Farms are duck breeds, created especially for the duck-egg business. According to John Metzer, the Golden Layer surpasses even the Khaki Campbell breed in yearly egg production.
It is interesting that you say that about your Cayuga production. How many eggs do you think you get from 1 duck annually? From what I could find to read, they supposedly have about half the expected eggs compared to a runner.
Another point is the size of the eggs being laid. Take for example my Magpie ducks: They all lay an egg a day for now, but the eggs are really small, like chicken eggs and i get 3-4 eggs from 5 ducks. Whereas my White-Layers lay one large egg per day, period. I have 4 large eggs every day in their nest. The Buff Orpingtons are not reliable Layers yet, still too young, so they lay weird eggs. Long slim eggs, tiny eggs huge eggs, no eggs. My three Runner girls are laying one greenish egg per day for now, but i only know it is them because of the egg color. They lay their eggs where they just happen to be. Cayugas are supposed to lay 130-180 mediums size eggs per year, i have no experience on them, maybe @Cayuga momma can chime in.
I also wonder if some hatcheries are breeding their runners more for look vs overall health/look/production. @Loopeend kind of like how you were describing your long legged runner. Maybe some of these hatcheries have subpar breeding practices focusing on the look of the bird. On the duck breed description for runners, some websites are quoting a much lower egg count than I would expect, like 150-200. That seems low. So maybe they are breeding for the look of the bird, production be damned?
It is like with the plants: Different people breed for different traits. Some hatcheries may breed for good parents? You can always call the hatchery and ask them.

I'm not sure; I'm the only non-money-focused hatchery in my country. The market is too small for breedings ducks for eggs, people have them as a hobby; so looks and health and personality matter more. We have big mayor egg-farms and people with a small garden; nothing in between. So keeping ducks (or chickens) for eggs; is not a thing. They are pets.

In other countries this might be different; I see on here that the US hás luckely room to be a "small farmer". Like WannabeHilbilly mentioned; ask the breeders. In a country with room for it; there might be people breedings Indian runners for the beauty peagants or for the eggs; only one way to find out. And if not; start your own unique awesome egg-laying ducks :) As I recall that;s how the magic golden layer 3000 is made or whatever it's silly name is (please choose a better name).

If egg production only is your primary focus, the Runner should not be your primary duck choice. Runners tend to not care where they lay their eggs and they will definitely stop laying when the days become shorter. The Golden 300 and the White Layer from Metzer Farms are duck breeds, created especially for the duck-egg business. According to John Metzer, the Golden Layer surpasses even the Khaki Campbell breed in yearly egg production.

Another point is the size of the eggs being laid. Take for example my Magpie ducks: They all lay an egg a day for now, but the eggs are really small, like chicken eggs and i get 3-4 eggs from 5 ducks. Whereas my White-Layers lay one large egg per day, period. I have 4 large eggs every day in their nest. The Buff Orpingtons are not reliable Layers yet, still too young, so they lay weird eggs. Long slim eggs, tiny eggs huge eggs, no eggs. My three Runner girls are laying one greenish egg per day for now, but i only know it is them because of the egg color. They lay their eggs where they just happen to be. Cayugas are supposed to lay 130-180 mediums size eggs per year, i have no experience on them, maybe @Cayuga momma can chime in.

It is like with the plants: Different people breed for different traits. Some hatcheries may breed for good parents? You can always call the hatchery and ask them.

All good points.

I should say, egg production is my primary focus. I liked the potential size of the runner egg. Secondary reason would be benefits to the garden: their used straw bedding and waste is used, and they eat weeds. I really wanted to be able to let them forage directly in the veggie patch itself but from what I'm witnessing, I wouldn't have a garden left in a couple weeks. I let them forage in the weedy wild garden area by my firepit but not around the veggies. And I pull weeds and throw that to them in their run.

So I guess since I can't let these ducks forage directly in the garden, a lot of different breeds could work for me.

I do like their smaller size. They are easy to manage and I'm sure their waste volume scales with their size. I've heard how much geese produce....yikes!

I'm not sure; I'm the only non-money-focused hatchery in my country. The market is too small for breedings ducks for eggs, people have them as a hobby; so looks and health and personality matter more. We have big mayor egg-farms and people with a small garden; nothing in between. So keeping ducks (or chickens) for eggs; is not a thing. They are pets.

In other countries this might be different; I see on here that the US hás luckely room to be a "small farmer". Like WannabeHilbilly mentioned; ask the breeders. In a country with room for it; there might be people breedings Indian runners for the beauty peagants or for the eggs; only one way to find out. And if not; start your own unique awesome egg-laying ducks :) As I recall that;s how the magic golden layer 3000 is made or whatever it's silly name is (please choose a better name).

Good idea, I could call and have a few conversations and see where that takes me.

My own specialty backyard flock....oh my.... my husband might have something to say about that though. Space is limited, I really don't think having more than 8 (maybe 10. MAYBE.) ducks is a good idea given the space I'm working with.

Forget about letting the ducks loos in your veggie garden!!! - Except you are done with harvesting for the year. Ducks eat weeds? Maybe, but Tomato, salad, kale, peppermint tastes so much better!
The amount of duck-gold (waste): i don't see any difference between my Runners (small breed) and the White Layers (medium/large breed). The Runners are more active, forage more gulp down more and therefore produce the same amount of duck-gold at the back end. The only exception is Blanca Duck, that poor girl is always hungry and the amount of "gold" she leaves behind is massive…
If you see your duck flock more like "pets with benefits" my recommendation are Runners. Their comical appearance and goofy behavior is outstanding! But they can become very skiddish quickly. You need to handle and cuddle the ducklings a lot, so that they know you and accept you as a flock member.

My own specialty backyard flock....oh my.... my husband might have something to say about that though. Space is limited, I really don't think having more than 8 (maybe 10. MAYBE.) ducks is a good idea given the space I'm working with.

I have a group of maximum 5. 4 in the winter when the drake is gone.
And in breeding season some ducklings offcourse. With rotation often with keeping the best ducks and finding the best drake from another bloodline; it is doable. :) (it might just be a tad slower)

Back
Top Bottom