Ideal Hatchery

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animalpro24, Jun 13, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Has anyone ordered from Ideal Hatchery? If so what do you think about them?

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I have and I would NOT recommend them to my enemy! I have ordered a total of 10 ducklings from them and only 4 of them arrived alive. They also shorted me on an order, I ordered 6 ducklings and they sent 5. I am sure there are others who have had ok experiences but this is just mine.

3. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Hmm... I was thinking about going with Ideal as well. Many more bad post and I think I will change my mind.

4. ericdc

ericdc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    If you want ducks or geese. Go with Metzer.

I got my mallards from Whistling Wings which raises mallards exclusively, but I'd like to get some Canada Geese from Metzer in the years to come.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I order exclusively through Ideal, but I've never ordered ducks. We have ordered over 100 chicks through the years,and I'm sure we've never received a deceased chick.

Their customer service is awesome, you get a real person and they're always friendly and helpful. They e-mail you when your chicks are shipped, so you know when to expect them.

We live in PA, they're in Texas, so our chicks are traveling quite a ways. Like I said, we've never had a problem. I'm sure when their animals leave the facility, they're in good shape. It's hard to say what happens in transit. I feel they offer good, hatchery quality birds for a decent price.

Good luck-
    Em

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Packing peanuts are my biggest pet peeve(well sometimes [​IMG] ). And they have a bad habit of sending them in the form of Male chicks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  7. mynameiserin

mynameiserin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I've ordered from them and I never will again. 4 of my ducks died within a week, which I knew was a possibility.b But one of them from the first day couldn't walk right he would run around and fall down and lean to the side... Aside from that they were completely rude both times I talked to them on the phone.

8. chadwick757

chadwick757 New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    Ordered 4 ducks...all arrived with no issues....to Michigan. Would order from them again but they don't have what I am looking for in geese!

9. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Now I don't know what to think of them! lol! It sounds like it's a 50 50 chance. Mmmmmmhhh.........

10. northeastguy

northeastguy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:If you want quality ducks and geese go with holdereads, metzers is a close second, they have good prices but holderead has harder to find breeds and all ship in great health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by