1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ideal Hatchery :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Indiana Dave, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Rockville, Indiana
    Ordered several day old chicks from Ideal this spring, all bantams wyandottes. My BLR's ended up being white-laced red CORNISH...WTHeck? One of the Buff Columbians is more of a tan than buff, and one of the Columbians has a single comb. I expected better than that. The six 'males for warmth' were 6 RIR, so I know that the cornish were a mistake. I won't be ordering from them again I don't think. But should I call and complain about them? Really don't expect them to do anything, I don't want anymore birds from them. Not sure what to do, if anything. Anyone else have this issue very often?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

2. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Songster

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Ive heard about a lot of their wyandottes end up with single combs. As for the cornish, they probably didn't have the BLR wyandottes so they changed them to the cornish.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Songster

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Hm, that's strange. I know Ideal has its good and bad. I ordered 15 and they all are great. You can pay an extra $1.75 (I think that's the price) if you don't want males for warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by