Ideal order arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dace, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Dace

Dace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I got the call early this morning...4:30.

I will post pics later but I have a couple questions. One of my packing peanuts had his leg stuck straight out behind him and could not stand. He was alive but died shortly after I got them all home. What could have been wrong with his leg? It seemed stiff. Should I be concerned about a disease spreading to the others or was it more likely the way he hatched?

I also had two of the little peanut roos who would take a drink and then their heads would lay flat back on their backs and seem to be stuck. Fast forward several hours and I am not seeing them do that anymore but I am curious what that was about!

Also one of my Australorps has what looks like a thin little black sting coming out of her rear end. I tried to pull on it and it seems stuck so I left it alone. I am thinking she either ate a piece of the packing material or something is wrong. Any ideas?

So I got 4 khaki campbells
    3 EEs
    3 australorps
    and they are all happy, eating and drinking like crazy.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The string might be from the umbicial cord. Just leave it.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Sounds like spraddle leg. It can be genetic or an injury. I think it happens a lot in shipping. We tried to treat one with home made braces but it didn't help. Some swear by the braces but i think maybe ours was to bad to help. Make sure they aren't on a slick surface like newspaper because this can cause spraddle leg also. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Dace-Will you include pictures of your khaki campbells as well. I ordered some from Ideal as well to be delivered end of March and am anxious to see how cute they are!!! [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All of my chicks have come from Ideal. I have only lost one chick so far. I have been very happy with them.

6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    How many penuts did you get added?

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I ordered 10 pullets and got 6 peanuts added. Received them Wednesday....all alive and well!

8. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    4:30...... [​IMG] My mother in law will kill me if she gets the call that early. I told hubby he should have given them our number..... [​IMG]

Anyway - congrats! pics!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  9. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Are the chicks still doing well?

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Congratulations! Is everyone doing well?

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by