Ideal Poultry first order????

Flashy2003

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Connecticut
Hi, I just made up a list of 10 Bantam Breeds. Ideal says they only have one ordering policy and that's not the number of birds. But the total price. They say a minimum is $25. Thats fine. Anyway I want to order 10 differnt bantam breeds from them. Are they a good breeder? And I know nobody knows the exact answer but what are my odds of pullet/male. I only want Pullets but we all know that's not possible? So if anyone has ordered form them let me know how your birds were and if you received more than a 50/50 ratio of males. And who are my other options for a small order like that.Thanks

You can look here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=278186 for pics for reference

But personally I think they are good.

Their white, Gl and SL Std. cochin hens are very good and their white and red silkies are good as well

Blue silkies are extremely small, but good looking

Std. Sultans are
sickbyc.gif
. . . .. , but the Bantam sultans are fine

^ ^ ^ those are the birds I got

on the Bantams I have ordered 3 barred cochin bantam and 4 assorted silkies and 3 Std (st. run) sultans

Silkies: 2 female 2 male

cochin: 2 male, 1 female

sultan: 2 female, 1 male

so ya, half and half

I ordered some barred rocks recently and they arrived in two days. Mine are only a week old, so I can not tell you much about them except they were very helpful when talking to them and the birds seem to be very healthy.

For those of you that have ordered from them what does their shipping run? My husband couldn't find anything that might give us an idea on shipping but they seem to have pretty much exactly what we want (or what we think we want lol) and it could be shipped this month, which would shut the mother in law up (buying most of the chickens for her and she doesn't understand why getting them right this second isn't feasible this time of year).

Quote:
They're as good as any other large scale hatchery.
wink.png
Plenty poor quality birds and no goal but for high production to continue selling more chicks.

Ideal is known, though, for the ugliest, poorest quality Silkies around.

Your odds of pullet/cockerel are the SAME as any other hatchery. Especially with bantams, being straight-run, you're going to get a 50/50 like anyone else.

Quote:
We had these questions too and called them this morning. First attempt calling they answered, very friendly and helpful. Shipping depends on where you live, what bird (chicken,duck..) and full box or not. For 5 ducks and 12 chickens we are paying about $68 total. Only about 15-20 cents shipping per bird, $7 small order charge (I think) and $1 per variety because we wanted only a few of each
smile.png
! If you call them directly they are very helpful and would be able to answer more specifically. They told me what was available now (all the chickens we wanted) and when the cayugas we wanted would be available too...1/19. We are soo excited
wee.gif
Hope this helps!

Quote:
We had these questions too and called them this morning. First attempt calling they answered, very friendly and helpful. Shipping depends on where you live, what bird (chicken,duck..) and full box or not. For 5 ducks and 12 chickens we are paying about $68 total. Only about 15-20 cents shipping per bird, $7 small order charge (I think) and $1 per variety because we wanted only a few of each
smile.png
! If you call them directly they are very helpful and would be able to answer more specifically. They told me what was available now (all the chickens we wanted) and when the cayugas we wanted would be available too...1/19. We are soo excited
wee.gif
Hope this helps!

Awesome
smile.png
Might be an option for us.

I have found them to be friendly and helpful in past dealings with them.
smile.png
My order ended up being about 50/50. But on some breeds yyou can order females or males. I did order a straight run...and I had ordered silkies. reds and partridge. They werent's show quality, but they were great pets and were good healthy strong birds. (lost them to an animal attack)

Last edited:
I got 3 varieties of bantam cochins from them last summer, straight run. They were pretty even numbers of pullets to cockerels.

4 partridge = 3 males, 1 female
4 buff = 1 male, 3 females
5 black = 2 males, 3 females

I am very happy with the Cochins we got from Ideal Poultry since we keep them for pets and backyard eggs. They are cute, friendly, and lay more eggs than we expected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom