Ideal Poultry Langshans - Show Me Your Eggs!

HiEverybirdy

Crowing
May 5, 2020
East TN
Does anyone have Langshans from Ideal Poultry of laying age and can share pictures of their eggs? When did they start laying and how much do they lay?

We have 3, 19-week old pullets whose combs are barely rosy in comparison to our Brahma pullets that age. Guessing it'll be a bit until they give us eggs, but I have no idea what kind of frequency or egg color we might expect from Ideal's version of this breed.

They're about the quietest, sweetest, chickens you've ever seen, and they grow slowly but they're pretty. What are they odds they'll be okay layers, too?

Our Langshan pullet BeBe laid her first egg this week! See photos--it's the light brown egg among the pink-tan Brahma eggs.

It has awesome speckling. I know that may go away but am hoping it doesn't!

In case it's interesting: our Brahmas and Langshans are from Ideal Poultry. Two of the 3 Brahmas started laying at 19.5 weeks, the other at 22 weeks. With the exception of Eula's weekly double-yolks, their eggs are all still in the 35-50g range.

BeBe the Langshan laid 1 egg this week, at 24 weeks, and hasn't laid another in 4 days. I was hoping for more to photograph to compare how the colors evolve, but we'll just have to do later. Langshans will not be rushed :) It's part of their charm. No telling when our other 2 will begin laying.

Now that she's laying, BeBe hangs out with the cockerel again. They were close in the brooder, but when he first turned "cockerely," none of the peaceful Langshans wanted anything to do with him. Now BeBe's back to grooming and foraging with him. She even laid her egg in the nesting box in his cabin, after he dressed it and called her over to it. The Brahmas all auditioned his cabin's nesting box but prefer the boxes in their big coop (which the cockerel also dresses up for them. He's a busy bird).

BeBe is spending more time with the Brahmas as well. It's funny how layers and non-layers clique up.

Langshan-and-BrahmaPulletEggs.jpg
Langshan-and-BrahmaPulletEggs2020.jpg
BlackLangshanPOL-LightBrahma.jpg

Somebirdy laid an even more speckled brown egg Saturday...off the roost, sigh. I usually spy on the ladies to know who lays what where, but it rained 3" that morning, so I didn't spend time with them until late morning.

The most likely suspect is BeBe. She's a beginning layer who hadn't laid in 3 days and was auditioning nesting boxes the evening before. So it was extra exciting when, both Sunday and yesterday, she laid a beautiful mauve egg, no speckles, in a nesting box.

It's so hard to capture the pinkness in photos, and I don't want to filter egg pics so will work with lighting in the future for a more true-to-life color shot. But for now, here's what I have: Langshan egg in the front, Brahma in the back.

Anyway, I think she's warming up her ink cartridges! Pretty impressed this much bloom came from a hatchery Langshan (actually pretty impressed by these Langshans all around--quiet, curious, independent). Best of all, BeBe always snags the calendula flowers when I bring baskets of garden treats, and it shows in her dark orange yolks. Go, BeBe, go!

Langshan-and-Brahma-pulleteggs.JPG

This post isn't getting much attention, but I'm updating it in case it's neat to anyone now or in the future :old Our Langshan BeBe laid another egg yesterday, and it was speckled brown again.

To recap: she's laid 2 speckled brown, then 2 pink/no speckles, and now 1 speckled brown again. What!?

I used my phone for photos this time, and the colors came through better.

The first photo shows 2 eggs from BeBe laid 1 day apart. I was out with them when both eggs were laid so can confirm they both came from BeBe.

LangshanMonday-TuesdayEggs.jpg
Langshan-BrahmaEggs082020.jpg

That bloom that is laid down on top of the shell gives it the pink color. Maybe there wasn't enough time for her recharge the bloom inkjets :D
I have a breeder acquired langshan, can't wait to see how she does next year, just a few months old now
Please share photos if you think of it!

Back
Top Bottom