Ideal Poultry Langshans - Show Me Your Eggs!

Thank you!! Although their pox are looking gnarly I’m hoping they’ve turned a corner. Compared to some pictures online it seems mild but hopefully they get back to themselves soon.

I love hearing about your flock! Your pictures are really clear and beautiful and helpful! Feel free to always post pictures of your eggs bc I’ll always be interested! haha I think it’s been worth the wait bc they really are the sweetest. When my kids are on the swing set they go to that corner to hang out and talk to the kids lol it’s so funny. I’m surprised they’ve been our loudest talkers! We tried to get quiet breeds but I think that’s impossible ha. They’ll perch on us or “ask” to be picked up any time we’re with them. They love their people! It’s been a great little flock so far. Thank you for your sweet comments. 🤗
Thank you so much. That's such a kind compliment! I'm the same about egg photos and appreciate you taking the time to share those!

That's funny yours hang out in the corner near the kids :) The Brahmas are our most social butterflies. The Langshans are friendly but more likely to hang back...until the treats come out. They do love food.

The Brahmas ask to be picked up. I love that. The Easter Egger pullets fly onto my shoulder uninvited, ugh. They're 3 months younger than the Brahmas and Langshans and will always be smaller, so I think they're trying to level the field. The Langshans, however, wait until I sit on a chair. Then they might like to nap on my lap if I'll sit a spell. That's their speed.

So, your Langshans are talkative? Where are yours from? I've heard some are loud, but ours are nearly silent unless someone's hogging their favorite nest box or startles them while they're trying to lay. Then they launch into impossibly loud bakaws until the #1 cockerel runs up to shepherd off whoever isn't laying yet.

Speaking of which, Pinkie was finally in a nest box earlier! She's the Langshan I hadn't seen lay yet. The #1 cockerel wasn't around, so I sat at the edge of the coop and waited. (I don't interfere if he's keeping them company while they lay--he takes that so seriously). This was my chance to confirm whether Pinkie's indeed laying now, at 32 weeks.

Of course, as I sat there, our tiny herd of EEs rumbled over and jumped on my lap. Startled, Pinkie launched into those impossibly loud bakaws. #1 cockerel came stomping up to deal with it. Pinkie jumped up to tell him about it, and as they toddled off together, dashing my hopes of confirming her egg laying, bloop! Out popped an egg on the ground.

The cockerel stopped to look at it. When I quickly picked up the egg, he followed Pinkie back across the yard where they got back to foraging together like nothing happened.

But something is different: Pinkie is right next to cockerel #1 every time I look out there. Months ago, that was normal. She was right in the middle of the pecking order and very sociable. But as the last of the 32-weekers to lay, she's practically been in exile lately. Weeks ago, I was sitting with them when a rainstorm started, and all the chickens ran under the covered runs except Pinkie, who huddled under a sapling. When the rain got really hard, I scooped her up and set her in the back of the coop, where she stood by the door and watched the rain.

She never seemed afraid to be with the others; she just didn't fit in for a while. As of this afternoon, she's herself again. I gave them scratch with extra raisins and sunflower seeds in celebration of her first egg, and she was right there next to the cockerel eating treats, proud as can be.

So, that's 6 pullets laying in our flock so far, with the 3 Ideal Black Langshans laying at 24, 26, and 32 weeks.

This event put to rest another mystery, more or less: Pinkie's egg was so little it was very possibly her first, so she probably isn't the phantom roost layer.

Another clue? The phantom roost layer laid a big, perfect roost egg just this morning in the spot Frida Bakawlo has taken to sleeping in, directly to the left of the cockerel. This means a pullet who has been laying for 6 weeks is still laying eggs off the roost. Really!?

Frida's always been a "beat of her own drum" bird, and she's laid dozens of eggs in the nesting box, but hopefully she'll start batting a thousand soon.

Long post, but it was a big day in the world of our flock :woot Here are pictures of Pinkie as an exile in the late summer wildflowers, Pinkie in the nest box, and Pinkie's first confirmed egg. No real bloom on it, but I wouldn't expect it yet. We'll see what she lays in the next few weeks.

DSC05864.jpg
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3555.JPG

Last edited:
I missed these updates!!! It’s been so busy here. I love her pink eggs!! Has your roost layer stopped? One of my langshans chooses the coop floor consistently. Dealing with nasty fowl pox and possible mites now too. There’s black dust under the roosts and I have no idea what else it could be. It’s not been super enjoyable the past few weeks. Exhausted.

I missed these updates!!! It’s been so busy here. I love her pink eggs!! Has your roost layer stopped? One of my langshans chooses the coop floor consistently. Dealing with nasty fowl pox and possible mites now too. There’s black dust under the roosts and I have no idea what else it could be. It’s not been super enjoyable the past few weeks. Exhausted.
Sorry to hear you're in a chicken-health vortex. I've been there, and it's frustrating.

Not sure what the black dust is, but mites are easy enough to check for. If your chickens are cool with being handled, you can check their vents during the day for tiny creepy crawlies. Otherwise, sneak into the coop with a flashlight after dark and look at their butts. At night, you'd also see mites running around on the roosts around their feet. Mites are tiny, so your eyes have to adjust to see them. They look like pieces of dirt running around.

Not every chicken may have visible mites, but if you see them on one, you'll treat everyone, as well as the nesting boxes and roosts, etc. Lots of tips on this board about how to do it, but if you do find mites, I'm happy to share how we smote ours. It took like a month to figure out what worked (besides banging my head against the wall).

During that time we dealt with coccidiosis and roundworms, too. Yes, exhausting! But a good learning experience.

Hmm, if there are mites in the nesting boxes, that could be why one of yours is laying on the floor. Or she might just be young and like to do things her own way :rolleyes: Our roost layer is...drum roll...multiple birds! A couple weeks ago, there were 2 different mornings with a Brahma egg on the floor when I opened the coop, so not only the Langshans are guilty. I think this is happening because of shorter days. Our ladies looove their rest, so if an egg's ready before sunrise, they sleep lay.

It's been a while since anybody oopsied off the roost, so hopefully their clocks have adjusted. The Ideal Langshan eggs are getting pinker and pinker. It's wild how heavy the bloom is. They're also the most consistent layers we have right now. The Brahmas are laying every other day if we're lucky, but the Langshans lay nearly daily.

Anyway, hope everyone on your end is continuing to mend from the pox. Ours haven't had that [yet], but it sounds like a "keep calm and let the pox pass" situation.

Two of our 3 little Easter Eggers (also from Ideal) just began laying at 22 and 23 weeks. The sea green makes a nice compliment to the Langshans' pink eggs :)

The 8-month-old Brahmas and Langshans seem to be considering a molt. At least that's my excuse for getting fewer eggs. Maybe it's just the shorter days, but we're getting 3-4 eggs daily from 8 layers.

Interestingly, the Brahmas' eggs are turning more speckled. The Langshans' bloom seems to keep getting heavier, though sometimes Frida Bakawlo still lays white-speckled/pixelated.

The Langshans do lay more regularly than the Brahmas, and their eggs are continuing to get larger, while the Brahmas still lay fairly little eggs (43g or less).

Of course the Brahma and Langshan eggs both look small next to Carrots' double-yolk the other day!

Anywho, just a random update.

IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3991.jpeg

Gorgeous! Are Langshans known for pink tinted eggs?! They are gorgeous! I wanted to get Faverolles next year to get the tinted eggs added to my basket but I’m so in love with your pink ones!!!!!
I think Langshans are known for bloom but am not sure! There are stories of Croad Langshans laying dark purple eggs (dark brown with heavy bloom), but that's gotta be rare, particularly because Croad Langshans seem to be rare, in the US at least.

Ours are of course not Croad, and I started this thread because I couldn't find pictures of Ideal Langshan eggs anywhere and had no clue what to expect. The pink eggs were such a wonderful surprise!! As are the Langshans in general. You couldn't ask for sweeter, quieter birds. Looks-wise, they've been slow-growing with a long awkward stage, but their green sheen is gorgeous.

I desperately want Faverolles, btw! Can't quite justify it yet. Our Buff Brahmas lay pink-tan eggs and kind of cover the feather-legged-tan-huggable-fluffball category in our flock for the time being :love

Two of our 3 little Easter Eggers (also from Ideal) just began laying at 22 and 23 weeks. The sea green makes a nice compliment to the Langshans' pink eggs :)

The 8-month-old Brahmas and Langshans seem to be considering a molt. At least that's my excuse for getting fewer eggs. Maybe it's just the shorter days, but we're getting 3-4 eggs daily from 8 layers.

Interestingly, the Brahmas' eggs are turning more speckled. The Langshans' bloom seems to keep getting heavier, though sometimes Frida Bakawlo still lays white-speckled/pixelated.

The Langshans do lay more regularly than the Brahmas, and their eggs are continuing to get larger, while the Brahmas still lay fairly little eggs (43g or less).

Of course the Brahma and Langshan eggs both look small next to Carrots' double-yolk the other day!

Anywho, just a random update.

View attachment 2389788View attachment 2389787

Wow! Nice!! Ours are definitely getting darker too! They’re actually starting to turn sort of light purple. One of our langshans can’t figure it out. Today I found her egg in the run! They seem to be livelier and on the mend from the pox so that’s good but now we’re dealing with poo puddles on the roosts. During the day their poo seems normal. May have to deworm. We switched them to a new corn free soy free food so I’m giving it a little bit. It’s not been an easy run for us! Oh and I figured out the black was soil from a pot they’d picked clean ha. Lucky they’re cute.
4CFDD403-5158-43B9-916F-020089E88F01.jpeg

Wow! Nice!! Ours are definitely getting darker too! They’re actually starting to turn sort of light purple. One of our langshans can’t figure it out. Today I found her egg in the run! They seem to be livelier and on the mend from the pox so that’s good but now we’re dealing with poo puddles on the roosts. During the day their poo seems normal. May have to deworm. We switched them to a new corn free soy free food so I’m giving it a little bit. It’s not been an easy run for us! Oh and I figured out the black was soil from a pot they’d picked clean ha. Lucky they’re cute.
Yay, egg pic. You can definitely see a purple tint. I'm guessing it's way purpler (if I may coin a word) in person, too. So many pretty egg tones in that photo.

That's great they're feeling better and that the black dust was soil. You had to be tickled to figure that out.

Seems like a good call that either worms or feed could cause poo puddles. When ours had roundworms, one of the younger EEs had blood in her poop, which made me bring a sample to a vet. I'd been thinking about it already because one of the older pullets, BeBe, had roost poo puddles for a couple weeks before that. After the Panacur, her poop went back to normal.

Of course, who knows what else they get into during the day, soil or otherwise :) BeBe could've been frequenting a wildflower that caused splat patties. BeBe pooped a whole pumpkin seed last time I gave them pumpkin, yikes. Our little EEs had a weird poop morning after they got chunks of organic cucumber the other day...hmm, I'm on a weird poop tangent here.

Continued good luck to you, and thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom